Cow Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went to my LFS yesterday and they had cowfish. I've never seen or heard of them before. Are they easy to keep? I have a yellow tang, flame angel, blue tang and clown in a FO tank. Would it get along?

They are pretty easy to keep from what I have experienced, I had a cowfish for a while and he was eating well and cruising around. Very interesting, hovering kind of fish. He would always peer out from behind rocks as he hovered up and down.

However as scuba said they may not be the best aquarium fish in the world because of two main reasons, they can excrete poisons when they get freaked out and also they tend to get sort of big... like 18 inches. LOL

They have a bony exoskeleton with all of the guts inside and this is why they look like skin stretched over a box.

I traded mine to dude at LFS for some giant snails and a sailfin blenny. He currently has the cowfish in a display tank at a tavern in town. I traded him in because I wanted to eliminate the risk of something scaring the crap out of it and having it poison the tank.

If you choose to get one just read up on 'em and remember that they get big. They are very interesting little guys.

Here is one of many links on these critters:

http://www.cowfishes.com/

(edited) Oh. and as far as getting along with your inhabitants I would bet that they would just ignore the cowfish. You're best to research that particular issue of course with your particular fish but.... my fish acted like he wasn't even there. In that tank I have yellow tang, and feisty damsels too.

Yeah, the cowfish are really cool looking. In the bahamas while snorkeling, I'd get them to eat right out of my hand. They'd go nuts over conch and urchin meat. Personally I'd avoid anything that could possibly kill everything in my tank.

Jim

I have a 55 gallon tank.

IMO, you would be asking for trouble down the road, especially by already having two tangs in the 55g. The cowfish will get quite large, and with the increased bioload of all those fish growing, I would worry about water quality which will bring on stress, disease, etc.

I would bypass this fish, although they are really cool. Have you looked into the different gobies? Some are really interesting and would give a new dynamic to your tank while staying a small size.

I really like gobies....

I have CC otherwise I would have Gobie-o-rama going on in my tanks. :(

On

Both CowFish, boxfish, and puffers have a thick slime coat and are known for harboring parasite in their slime. Thats why I avoid them. They are cute if you are doing a Cow only tank. Another down fall is they are pretty slow and if you have more aggressive feeders in your tank then the cow will suffer.

Can the cow fish be kept with lion fish? I have heard conflicting answers to this question.

Back
Top Bottom