CPR overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience with CPR overflows? They look like a good design to me, but I have heard bad things about them also...like they are bad to stop working. I wonder if the folks who have had bad luck with them were using a Rio PH? I think I'd use a Maxi Jet instead. Anyway, I was thinking about ordering one from Ameka Aquatics and I wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks in advance.
Logan J

I have heard horror stories about them, cause of power outages. If the ph doesn't come back on....water on the floor. I do agree a maxi jet would be a better choice, but those fail occasionally also, what do you do then? I prefer an overflow that incorporates a simple J tube or a U tube. Curious though logan, why don't you just make an overflow? The one on my fuge works great.......

reefrunner69 said:
Curious though logan, why don't you just make an overflow? The one on my fuge works great.......

Well...I'm lazy :oops: and I'm worried that I wouldn't build it large enough to handle the flow. I would really feel better with two overflows I guess. I have a outer box with two 1" drains and I think I can cram two 1 1/4" U tubes in it. I'll have to build the inner box though. You think that will handle a Little Giant 1200gph pump?

Perhaps I misunderstand the design of the CPR overflow. All my overflows have a hole drilled in the top of the U tube with a piece of acrylic air line glued in. A piece of vinyl tubing is run from that to the venturi on a PH. Since the end of the tube is underwater, you don't lose the siphon when the pump shuts off. Also, a Maxi Jet 1200 will restart the siphon if it's lost...I think a 900 probably would. This keeps the air bubble that always seems to form in the U tube under control also. Am I missing something? It has worked great so far, but I may have set myself up for a flood and not even realized it.
Logan J

provided the tube doesn't lose siphon that is fine. But if it does (which I've read ***I have no first hand knowledge, I've never used a CPR overflow*** they have a tendancy to do) lose siphon and the ph fails to start................

OK...that isn't really a problem with the U tubes, as I'm sure you know. I had never seen one of the CPR's up close and didn't really know exactly how they were designed. I have used one of the Tidepool overflows and it was a constant problem...very noisy too. I'm thinking they may be of similar design. I guess I'll try the external box that I have and build an internal. I can always add a smaller one if needed.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom