cracked tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright i went to my LFS and they have 120gal pre-drilled fish tank for$89.98. the catch is that the tank is cracked down the side of the tank. from top to bottom. is it possible to fix it or would it be just to much hassle?

thanks for the advice

mark

Just put huge gobs of silicone and duct tape on there until you feel confident that it will hold. LOL

All seriousness aside, if you could get the top and bottom frame off without too much trouble, you could cut that silicone out of the side glass seams with a utility knife and remove the 2 broken pieces, get a new piece from glass shop, and carefully silicone it back in and replace the frame.

If you could find out if the side panel is tempered or not and stuff then you can determine what kind of glass to ask for.

But first thing I'd do is get the exact measurement & thickness, find out if tempered or not, and call a glass shop or two for a quote.

Another thing maybe maybe you ould do is contact the manufacturer of the aquarium and ask them to sell you a replacement piece. That might be even cheaper and easier if they would do that for you.... they probably won't do it though b/c they don't want peeps repairing their tanks. hehe

Just a few thoughts anyway.

Also if it was predrilled by the manufacture most tanks have an exceptionally long warranty.. They might just fix it for free for ya.. However I can get a 125gal not drilled new for about 100.00 around here.. I would contact the Mfg and see what they would do about it.. If they say yes we will fix it then go for it lol...

James

jeeze you people that live in "cheap tank" states make me SICK!!! :lol:

last I priced, a 90 all-glass here is $200, and a 150 topfin is $450 - neither drilled.

lol, yea, I know ohio is expensive like Michigan ... my joke was aimed at James' statement of $100 for a 120

i've checked ohio, indiana, and northern illinois for cheap tanks, but no luck.

justDIY-

About once ro twice a yr Petco around here puts all their tanks on sale at 1.00 per gal.. Doesnt matter the size at all.. My 55gal I picked up complete for FW for i think $140.00 I should have just bout the tank and not worried about all the rest of the stuff as I still havent used anything but the heater lol.. Ohwell it was just a dumb newbie mistake at the time.. I see 200gal Acrylic in the paper for like 500.00-1000.00 for SW complete all the time.. Awesome deals except for SW livestock..

James

yeah, i know its a great price, but i never have built an aquarium and i'm nervous about the seal job that i would do. i mean thats a whole lot of water on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom