Cyano and air bubbles coming from substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noodles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two posts in two days, not a good week. I've had a problem with red cyano on my fine gravel bed for a few weeks and eventually it covered the whole of the substrate. I checked water parameters and all checked out fine. I use ro water and do regular water changes. I have started using rowa phos and the cyano has started to recede a bit.think my turbo and hermits have eaten it a bit( which I didn't think they did.) I recently upgraded the light from two t5's

Sorry forgot to finish message, I just recently upgraded my light fro 2x t5 's and are running them and a halogen one now. Although I have been weening my corals on to the halogen light.
But recently the last two days there has been a lot of bubbles on the substrate,live rock and cyano, is this good or bad?

Is the RO water also DI - it is important to have both RO/DI too make sure the Phosphates are not in there.

One way that may be able to distinguish is a TDS meter.

I will have to check that with the lfs .is the bubbles from phosphates leaching out

Sometime bubbles are released as a wast product from algae - Usually Nitrogen, which is not harmful.

The algae growth is caused by phosphates

This is common with fine sand I used to have this problem when I was willing to deal with all the problems fine sand causes. I found this happened when I didn't have enough flow.

Sometime bubbles are released as a wast product from algae - Usually Nitrogen, which is not harmful.

The algae growth is caused by phosphates

I have 2-3mm substrate and had the same issue at the beginning of the cycle. I believe depending on the nutrients the cyano grows off it releases gases or now.

Just saying it can also happen with course sand/substrate.

I would invest in a RO/DI unit that way you know the TDS is zero. Then treat the tank like you have high NO3&PO4

Back
Top Bottom