Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycle with light or without

My 120g is all set up and i started cycling two days ago. In the past i cycled my tanks with the lights on like they would be any other time, but now that i am planning on a reef and have stronger lighting should i put the lights on during the day or should i leave them off. I have live rock and live sand in the tank right now and that is it. I started the cycle with a couple frozen Lance fish.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
If you want it on, turn it on. If you don't, then don't. The cycle doesn't care.

If it were me, I'd probably run it occasionaly, but that'd only be beacuse I wanted to look at it.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im not sure if it would be correct to assume this, but I think that you would want the lights on when you cycle your tank. That way you can go through all of the so called algae stages of cycling and hopefully get them out of way. Im not sure if it makes a difference, but when I cycled my tank most of my algae problems were during the first couple of weeks and by the time I added live stock at the end of the cycle it had dissipated. Then again, maybe with the lights off you may not even get the algae to begin with. Thats an interesting question..
Old 12-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats what i was thinking. Maybe if i didnt use the lights i could cut down on the algea, but i also want the live rock to have some light so that anything on it can start or continue to grow. Idk i guess its just preference.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squado
Then again, maybe with the lights off you may not even get the algae to begin with. Thats an interesting question..
Sounds logical to me. I didnt have a light on when I cycled my seahorse tank. Algea is like a fire. The more fuel it can get the bigger it roars out of control. Light is a fuel for nuisance algea. As Lindsay said it dont have to be on unless it makes you feel good about your tank. Hope all goes well.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

you said you have live rock in your tank so i would think there would be light loving life on those rocks. I wouldn't run metal halides but I would run some light.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The nitrifying bacteria that you are breeding during your cycle doesn't require light at all to flourish, and some studies even suggest that UV light can retard their growth.
So when it comes to that aspect of your cycle it doesn't matter.

As for the algaes, micros and macros, nice ones and naughty ones alike, the light will be a fuel source so take that for what it's worth.

I currently cycle without additional light.
They aren't in total darkness either because no matter where they are in my house or office they still get some daylight coming in the windows.

Tags
cycle, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com