Cycle with light or without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 120g is all set up and i started cycling two days ago. In the past i cycled my tanks with the lights on like they would be any other time, but now that i am planning on a reef and have stronger lighting should i put the lights on during the day or should i leave them off. I have live rock and live sand in the tank right now and that is it. I started the cycle with a couple frozen Lance fish.

If you want it on, turn it on. If you don't, then don't. The cycle doesn't care. ;)

If it were me, I'd probably run it occasionaly, but that'd only be beacuse I wanted to look at it.

Im not sure if it would be correct to assume this, but I think that you would want the lights on when you cycle your tank. That way you can go through all of the so called algae stages of cycling and hopefully get them out of way. Im not sure if it makes a difference, but when I cycled my tank most of my algae problems were during the first couple of weeks and by the time I added live stock at the end of the cycle it had dissipated. Then again, maybe with the lights off you may not even get the algae to begin with. Thats an interesting question..

Thats what i was thinking. Maybe if i didnt use the lights i could cut down on the algea, but i also want the live rock to have some light so that anything on it can start or continue to grow. Idk i guess its just preference.

Squado said:
Then again, maybe with the lights off you may not even get the algae to begin with. Thats an interesting question..

Sounds logical to me. I didnt have a light on when I cycled my seahorse tank. Algea is like a fire. The more fuel it can get the bigger it roars out of control. Light is a fuel for nuisance algea. As Lindsay said it dont have to be on unless it makes you feel good about your tank. Hope all goes well.

you said you have live rock in your tank so i would think there would be light loving life on those rocks. I wouldn't run metal halides but I would run some light.

The nitrifying bacteria that you are breeding during your cycle doesn't require light at all to flourish, and some studies even suggest that UV light can retard their growth.
So when it comes to that aspect of your cycle it doesn't matter.

As for the algaes, micros and macros, nice ones and naughty ones alike, the light will be a fuel source so take that for what it's worth.

I currently cycle without additional light.
They aren't in total darkness either because no matter where they are in my house or office they still get some daylight coming in the windows.

Back
Top Bottom