Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trantman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have set up a new fish only aquarium 10 days ago, I added Nutrafin cycle and fed for a while with household ammonia, I visited my LFS over the weekend and asked advice on adding Live rock which he said would be beneficial. He also then said come back in a week and add your first fish. Now I have read several articles about the benefits of this and the negatives in stress to the fish but who do you believe? Experts who run a fish based business or passionate people like us who keep fish as a hobby?
The tank is 190l with some base rock and some live rock (80/20 split) and thoughts/comments/experience/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks....

Buy a test kit and check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. If the live rock is cured it could have the bacteria needed to speed up your cycle. If not, it could have the die off needed as an ammonia source to begin the cycle. I wouldn't add a fish until you're showing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. My cycle on a 75 took about 8 weeks and it was rough! Lol I added live rock which gave me something to look at and find the little hitchhikers that come with it. I say add the live rock and not the fish until your water test shows it's okay. I don't know of anyway to look at a tank or a specific time frame in which to say a tank is fish safe.

Many LFS Owners are passionate about the hobby and understand that your success in the hobby equals continued success for their business in return customers. In contrast, my experience is many LFS employees just want to sell you something whether safe or not and many times you are have much more knowledge than they do. I've learned, an IPhone is a great thing in a LFS. You can search the net quickly and review the forums for the proper information before buying.

Make sure you used the right ammonia too. I've never used it, but recall that it can not have any additives and something about it not being bubbly after you shake it.

I go with online advice over my LFS all the time. One of them does a lot of "that could work", but "could" and "should" or "will" are different. There are times where I've heard them talking to people and I want to step in and say something.

Make sure you used the right ammonia too. I've never used it, but recall that it can not have any additives and something about it not being bubbly after you shake it.

I go with online advice over my LFS all the time. One of them does a lot of "that could work", but "could" and "should" or "will" are different. There are times where I've heard them talking to people and I want to step in and say something.

I actually have. My LFS has a great owner but employees a lot of high school and college kids. I have actually stepped in a few times. The owner has actually thanked me for doing so!

Thanks guys I have checked levels today and ammonia has risen since adding the live rock which I understand is a good thing, will continue to monitor to see how long it takes to come down to acceptable level before making any further decisions.

No change in tank ammonia levels seem to be constant at around 2ppm don't know if I should be doing anything or just sitting tight, any thoughts

I still wonder if I am missing something or whether I would have expected something to happen by now, I am not seeing any spikes in ammonia levels even after adding the live rock, should I add some food to the tank to promote higher ammonia levels? Still not sure on the fish thing...:banghead:

They are called surfactants. You also want to stay away from any perfumes.

I still wonder if I am missing something or whether I would have expected something to happen by now, I am not seeing any spikes in ammonia levels even after adding the live rock, should I add some food to the tank to promote higher ammonia levels? Still not sure on the fish thing...:banghead:

Don't add any fish to the aquarium until the tank is cycled.

Here is the link to the article that was mentioned.
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom