Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Daily Nano-Reef water changes.

I have been changing the water in my office nano tank about 3 times a week. I just added a sea horse that needs to be fed frozen mysis which I think will dirty up the water. I was thinking about doing daily 1.5-3 gallon changes on the nano. Anyone tried this approach, and if so with good success. I ordered the Current USA Fission skimmer but it wont be here till tuesday.

Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Get a few nassarius snails, and fill the back compartments of your nano with LR rubble. You may want to get some macro in there as well. I have some grape calupra in my mantis nanos and it keeps water quality perfect. This would also server as a good place for your horses to wrap their tails around. I would be worries about 3 gal changes on a nano. This could cause much stress on a tank this small.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
is this the 12 gallon nano in your profile? If so I think 3gallons a day would be a bit much, thats a daily 25% water change.

if you're worried about how much the frozen mysis will foul your water you could try thawing out a whole package at a time, draining the filth it sits in and rinsing it with RO water and refreezing. Or thawing a few chunks at a time and doing the above.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

nano, nano-reef, reef, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com