daisy polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a beatiful colony of Daisy Polyps, but they have slowly over time perished, I'm affraid. I tried to move them to the most desirable spot in the tank, and fed them like I do all my corals. Is there a special need that daisies have that I was unaware of? I have many corals, sps, lps, stoney (profile is up to date) and they are alll doing amazingly well. I feel terrible that I failed the poor helpless thing.

Howard.

I am sorry, I should have tried to be more specific. I had a medium to large size colony of Clavularia. I still have about 5 polyps hanging in there, but I don't have mush hope for them. I have a colony of Green Star Polyps that were doing great then took a bad turn, I was able to move them to a more desirable place within the tank and since then they have really come back strong. (So strong that they are starting to overlap themselves and I am not sure what to do about that.)

Is there any hope or should I just Pray?

Howard

I have my Clavularia in the exact same flow/lighting as my star polyps (strong and strong)and they are thriving.

What is the Clavularia close to? What part of the tank are they in, what is the lighting on the tank and what is the flow near the Clavularia? What fish are in the tank, any chance some are nibbling?

I had a poor experience with Clavularia under VHO lighting, but they took off and spread like wildfire under MH with good flow.

I have had them in several areas of the tank in an attempt to find the perfect spot. Now I have them in the upper part of the tank with low water flow. They where previously in the middle of the tank with moderate flow. I run 240W PC. for lighting. They have never been in range to touch any of my other corals, so I don't think it is a territorial thing. As for the fish in my tank, I have never seen them even show a passing interest in any of my polyps. I have several small fish. Saddle Clown, Longnose Hawk, 2 Blue Damsels, Lawnmower, Coral Beauty. Inverts are 2 Emerald Crabs (just aquired and definitely not the culprate) Assorted Hermies, Turbos and a Coral Banded Shrimp. All my water parameters are right where they should be. Ph is 8.2-8.6. temp 78. I don't test for iodine. I know that pulsing xenias require some in order to pulse. Is this something that I should be monitoring for the Clavularia maybe? I am stumped. All my other corals are thriving. I even did my first frag off my Colt Coral, and it is doing wonderful.

Howard

Try them up at the top with strong lighting. As far as flow goes, mine are at the opposite end of the tank (48") from a powerhead pointing dead at them. They blow like palms in a hurricane and seem to love it.

Where whould you place Alveopora in the tank. I have moved mine to several spots in the tank and they just wont open up as much as they did when i first saw them in the LFS.

I had a Green Gonipora sp., which are also called daisy polyps sometimes, and they started to die off some, so I moved them higher in the tank with lots of flow and they are coming back at an astonishing rate! 8O

Like BriscO said "They blow like palms in a hurricane and seem to love it"
Thats exactly how I would describe my Gonipora.

Im pretty sure these do better in higher flow areas. Plus Gonipora are reportedly more difficult to keep then their cousin Alveopora, so you may have some hope!

Good luck!

Im pretty sure these do better in higher flow areas. Plus Gonipora are reportedly more difficult to keep then their cousin Alveopora, so you may have some hope!

That is actually the reverse, alveopora are slightly easier to keep than gonis. Gonipora = 24 tentacles per polyp, alveopora = 12 tentacles per polyp.

Now I'm really confused, none of my pics are being posted. LOL

Make sue your pic is less than 100 KB and make sure you hit the add attatchment button let the pic upload and the page refresh then hit submit.

Now I'm really confused, none of my pics are being posted. LOL

We're working on it...

Styles that work:
BlackSoul
fiappleblue
fisubice

Styles that do not show attatchments
fisubtext
subsilver
phpvb2

Back
Top Bottom