DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
Vinegar is your best bet. Spray it on and leave it sit for a little bit or if your willing to do it fill it up with some vinegar water and leave it sit for a lil bit.

Just regular vinegar to spray?? I don't wanna fill it up.. coralline is all over the place lol

Bearchumjs said:
Razor blades to scrape the glass.

Yeah that's what I was thinking..

I guess it'd be wise to take all the plumbing off the tank(bulkheads and such) and clean everything?

DanS180 said:
Just regular vinegar to spray?? I don't wanna fill it up.. coralline is all over the place lol

Yep I buy the gallon jugs of white distilled. It's real cheap so I usually use extra any time I'm cleaning.

Mrc8858 said:
Yep I buy the gallon jugs of white distilled. It's real cheap so I usually use extra any time I'm cleaning.

K guess I'll use a razor blade and see where I get and prob pick up some vinegar tomorrow after work

Following for inspiration for my 75 but looking at your 90 makes me want to convince my family that we could go to 90 :)

Annakhil said:
Following for inspiration for my 75 but looking at your 90 makes me want to convince my family that we could go to 90 :)

Haha well I'm glad you're following!! This is only my second saltwater tank so I'm still a newbie but from what I hear my 29G tank is doing amazing lol and yeah I went with a 90 mainly bc of the dimensions.. decent footprint and nice length :)

DanS180 said:
Haha well I'm glad you're following!! This is only my second saltwater tank so I'm still a newbie but from what I hear my 29G tank is doing amazing lol and yeah I went with a 90 mainly bc of the dimensions.. decent footprint and nice length :)

Man, if you have as much success with this tank as you have with your 29 it's going to be epic.

Personally I'd look at LEDs. You're going to burn up money each year on fresh bulbs with T5s. The Taotronics seem really popular and aren't nearly as expensive as some other brands. You may even be able to just get one unit and if you find the tank needs another one you could get it later. No bulb replacement and you can adjust the output easily with the dimmable model. I don't know anybody that runs them at 100%. They're very powerful.

CorallineAlgae said:
Man, if you have as much success with this tank as you have with your 29 it's going to be epic.

Personally I'd look at LEDs. You're going to burn up money each year on fresh bulbs with T5s. The Taotronics seem really popular and aren't nearly as expensive as some other brands. You may even be able to just get one unit and if you find the tank needs another one you could get it later. No bulb replacement and you can adjust the output easily with the dimmable model. I don't know anybody that runs them at 100%. They're very powerful.

Epic??? Haha thank you!! I didn't think my 29G was that great considering it's my first SW tank. But this one will be better bc I get to scape the rock without water and fish :) all dry rock

And yes I'm definitely thinking of doing LEDs :)

Ok so inside my stand measures out at 46L x 16W x 26H.. I was thinking either a 29 or 30 gallon sump? My friend said maybe a 20G long, but I was concerned of that size bc I'm planning on having a reef octopus skimmer and the BRS reactor in there, any thoughts??

Why not a 55 gallon? Bigger is better! Sorry if you said this before, but are you planning on having a refugium? The skimmer and it's pump, the reactor, and is if it's an internal pump will probably need more room.

obscurereef said:
Sorry meant 45 tall..they are only 36" long opposed to 48.

Yeah but a 45 gallon would only leave me a few inches of clearance to get in and out of it.. and yeah I plan on having a fuge as well even tho I'm not entirely sure what its there for lol

DanS180 said:
Yeah but a 45 gallon would only leave me a few inches of clearance to get in and out of it.. and yeah I plan on having a fuge as well even tho I'm not entirely sure what its there for lol

A fuge helps combat algae by growing it in there instead of the DT. It also works as a nutrient export removing phosphates and nitrates naturally. You can take it a step further and use miracle mud in a "dsb" type of setup for an even more complete ecosystem.

Mrc8858 said:
A fuge helps combat algae by growing it in there instead of the DT. It also works as a nutrient export removing phosphates and nitrates naturally. You can take it a step further and use miracle mud in a "dsb" type of setup for an even more complete ecosystem.

Dsb type of setup? ::clueless:: lol

:facepalm: Oh yeah...lol I made this mistake before. I got a 12" wide tank to be the sump and forgot to measure the inside part where there were braces. There it was 11.5 inches. So close, but I had to get a carpenter to replace the the braces with smaller ones and in doing so he cut the entire back brace off and have screws to put it on or take it off. That's how I got mine in, but without the 2 problems, I wouldn't be able to get such a large sump. What are the dimensions of the skimmer and the reactor is for carbon?..GFO?..dual reactor w/ both?...You can leave it out of the sump and put it behind the tank if it fits or on the wall in the stand or wherever else.

Deep sand bed. It creates a safe haven for anaerobic bacteria which is actually one of the last stages of the nitrogen cycle which few people utilize. That bacteria (which is only found in places void of oxygen hence anaerobic) convert nitrAtes into nitrogen gas which leave your tank through gas exchange. This is one of the reasons why 1lb+ per gallon is reccomended as the rocks will hold some anaerobic bacteria inside of them.

obscurereef said:
:facepalm: Oh yeah...lol I made this mistake before. I got a 12" wide tank to be the sump and forgot to measure the inside part where there were braces. There it was 11.5 inches. So close, but I had to get a carpenter to replace the the braces with smaller ones and in doing so he cut the entire back brace off and have screws to put it on or take it off. That's how I got mine in, but without the 2 problems, I wouldn't be able to get such a large sump. What are the dimensions of the skimmer and the reactor is for carbon?..GFO?..dual reactor w/ both?...You can leave it out of the sump and put it behind the tank if it fits or on the wall in the stand or wherever else.

Ahh I see.. yeah the reactor is a deluxe GFO & carbon together and yeah I forgot it looks like it can mount on the outside of the tank so that gives me more room

Mrc8858 said:
Deep sand bed. It creates a safe haven for anaerobic bacteria which is actually one of the last stages of the nitrogen cycle which few people utilize. That bacteria (which is only found in places void of oxygen hence anaerobic) convert nitrAtes into nitrogen gas which leave your tank through gas exchange. This is one of the reasons why 1lb+ per gallon is reccomended as the rocks will hold some anaerobic bacteria inside of them.

Ohh okay I somewhat understand that now lol little confusing but I'll catch on soon enough :)

Back
Top Bottom