DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
You need good airflow to help gas exchange. I would rather top off more often than risk a C02 build up.

Do you think a tank with an overflow, skimmer and a topless sump should be concerned with gas exchange because of a lid? He should be fine with a top considering the high aeration from the rest of the system. I know it's nice to go lidless. I think he'll get plenty of aeration even with a lid.

Maybe try it both ways and see if the lid reduces enough evaporation to make it worthwhile. It'll only take a few days to see a change.

CorallineAlgae said:
Do you think a tank with an overflow, skimmer and a topless sump should be concerned with gas exchange because of a lid? He should be fine with a top considering the high aeration from the rest of the system. I know it's nice to go lidless. I think he'll get plenty of aeration even with a lid.

Maybe try it both ways and see if the lid reduces enough evaporation to make it worthwhile. It'll only take a few days to see a change.

Well i think I'm gonna go with screen but not positive yet.. I'm getting 2 165w dimmable LED hanging lights so whatever's best for that

A open sump will help, but I like to maximize the amount of exposed surface area in my system. That is essentially the lungs of any reef system.

Does it normally take this long for sand to settle?? Is having my skimmer on slowing this process down???

DanS180 said:
Does it normally take this long for sand to settle?? Is having my skimmer on slowing this process down???

My sisters tank tool 3 or 4 days. My freshwater tank took 2 days.

I don't know if the skimmer is effecting it or not. The only thing I can suggest is to keep waiting or do a pwc.

Bearchumjs said:
My sisters tank tool 3 or 4 days. My freshwater tank took 2 days.

I don't know if the skimmer is effecting it or not. The only thing I can suggest is to keep waiting or do a pwc.

Well I'm not in any rush for it, I was just curious bc it seems to be taking longer than normal lol it actually gives me time bc I'm getting my rocks on Monday and I wanna put them together and once they're all in there I'll start my cycle :)

If you can keep the flow away from the sand it'll help. It'll be easier when the rock is in. The rock should absorb some if the flow which will keep the sand undisturbed.

CorallineAlgae said:
If you can keep the flow away from the sand it'll help. It'll be easier when the rock is in. The rock should absorb some if the flow which will keep the sand undisturbed.

Yeah all my nozzles and the 1 powerhead are all either pointed up or straight out.. nothing pointed toward the sand

DanS180 said:
Something is wrong.. anyone have to top off the sump TWICE a day???

Use a lid. The other option could be to remove the two right most baffles to increase the water volume in the pump chamber. Otherwise you could install a float valve and attach it to a reservoir for top off. That's how I had mine. I used a flat green 6 gallon water container from Academy Sports and had it on a simple 2x4 frame behind the tank. An auto top off is another option. Honestly, if you have a glass lid for the tank you'll have a lot less evaporation.

How many gallons are you using a day right now?

CorallineAlgae said:
Use a lid. The other option could be to remove the two right most baffles to increase the water volume in the pump chamber. Otherwise you could install a float valve and attach it to a reservoir for top off. That's how I had mine. I used a flat green 6 gallon water container from Academy Sports and had it on a simple 2x4 frame behind the tank. An auto top off is another option. Honestly, if you have a glass lid for the tank you'll have a lot less evaporation.

How many gallons are you using a day right now?

Not exactly sure... from the time I was gone today 7:15am-5pm, I had to add 4 or 5 "solo" cup fulls into the sump.

And how would a glass lid work? I guess cut out the middle for the return pump line?

No, I meant a lid on the big tank. Evaporation happens when the air meets the surface of the water, absorbs some moisture and then carries it away. A lid keep the air in the room from taking some of the tank water away. I know you don't like lids but if your tank came with one it would be a temporary fix. Otherwise some sort of top off is really the best long term solution. I always ran kalkwasser (pickling lime) fir top off to help keep the calcium and dKH up. Depending on the size of the water container you may get away with only having to refill it once or twice a week

CorallineAlgae said:
No, I meant a lid on the big tank. Evaporation happens when the air meets the surface of the water, absorbs some moisture and then carries it away. A lid keep the air in the room from taking some of the tank water away. I know you don't like lids but if your tank came with one it would be a temporary fix. Otherwise some sort of top off is really the best long term solution. I always ran kalkwasser (pickling lime) fir top off to help keep the calcium and dKH up. Depending on the size of the water container you may get away with only having to refill it once or twice a week

Guess that'll b another thing to think about.. maybe I'll get a top off system down the road.. I just don't have the money for it right now...

With losing so much water a day, do u see any future problems I may have with corals(calcium, mag, kH)??

I'd go with .025 I doubt your return chamber holds enough water to effect you salinity by more then .001

Mrc8858 said:
I'd go with .025 I doubt your return chamber holds enough water to effect you salinity by more then .001

Yeah you're prob right. My tank is at 1.026 right now so I'll have to adjust that

Just when you do your first water change mix it around .023-.024 and that should compensate for the difference

Back
Top Bottom