DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
I know everyones skimmer is different but how many days do u guys usually go before cleaning out the collection cup??

I get about half a cup per week, so I just clean it out on Saturday.

Well skimmers have a break in period so it won't be consistent at all for the first couple weeks so I wouldn't even worry about the fine tuning until your close to adding life to the tank.

Well skimmers have a break in period so it won't be consistent at all for the first couple weeks so I wouldn't even worry about the fine tuning until your close to adding life to the tank.

yeah sounds good lol ill just leave it fully open and let it do its thing

okay so when i woke up this morning i noticed my return chamber was low on water.. so i checked for leaks but nothing was found. i added about 3 cups of RO water just to get me by til i got home...

well when i got home, the level was back where it was this morning, maybe even lower... no leaks from the tank/plumbing/sump. Any ideas where the water is going? my Skimmer wasnt near full either..

on the bright side.. just picked up a Koralia Evo 1400 powerhead from my LFS :)

Could be evap. I got through about 6 gallons a week or close to a gallon a day on my 46 with 20 sump both open top. It's gone up by about a gallon a week since I started running the furnace too.

Mrc8858 said:
Could be evap. I got through about 6 gallons a week or close to a gallon a day on my 46 with 20 sump both open top. It's gone up by about a gallon a week since I started running the furnace too.

Hmm that's goin really fast then! Lol

Do you know the dimensions of your return chamber or how many gallons it holds? You may have to get an ATO if you don't wanna top off daily

Mrc8858 said:
Do you know the dimensions of your return chamber or how many gallons it holds? You may have to get an ATO if you don't wanna top off daily

Its not a big deal to top off, just didn't think id have to do it so quickly lol

DanS180 said:
Its not a big deal to top off, just didn't think id have to do it so quickly lol

Wait until you add the lights! >_<'

Are you using a lid on the main tank? That helps to reduce evaporation.

CorallineAlgae said:
Wait until you add the lights! >_<'

Are you using a lid on the main tank? That helps to reduce evaporation.

Well I'm putting a screen top on for the sole purpose of my cat. If I didn't have a cat, id be going topless! Whoo-hoo! Lol

DanS180 said:
Well I'm putting a screen top on for the sole purpose of my cat. If I didn't have a cat, id be going topless! Whoo-hoo! Lol

I have a screen top on my 10 gallon because of my cat also. I'm thinking I need to replace the screen with plexiglass. I have to add quite a bit of water every morning. I had plexiglass on my 5 gal before I upgraded and I only had to top off every 3 days.

Bearchumjs said:
I have a screen top on my 10 gallon because of my cat also. I'm thinking I need to replace the screen with plexiglass. I have to add quite a bit of water every morning. I had plexiglass on my 5 gal before I upgraded and I only had to top off every 3 days.

Really?? I thought not having a top would help with evaporation.. guess Im wrong lol

Gregcoyote said:
You need good airflow to help gas exchange. I would rather top off more often than risk a C02 build up.

Yeah I don't mind topping off that's no biggie.. I'm gonna have a 27g trash can full of freshwater at all times

Back
Top Bottom