DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
I always use the raw shrimp method also. I'm a coward when it comes to ammonia. *shame*

Lmao yeah I wouldn't wanna overdose or miss a dosing and stall the cycle.. I think I'm just gonna put raw shrimp in there

I agree. I don't like these supposed fast starts. Maybe it's because I have been at this for decades, but I just can't make myself pour industrial ammonia into my tank. Any organic item, like a shrimp, releases slowly and I think that's better in the long run. Each to their own.

Gregcoyote said:
I agree. I don't like these supposed fast starts. Maybe it's because I have been at this for decades, but I just can't make myself pour industrial ammonia into my tank. Any organic item, like a shrimp, releases slowly and I think that's better in the long run. Each to their own.

Lol yeah I've always done either fish in(FW) or the raw shrimp method

Gregcoyote said:

Man you said it! "Don't try to fix what ain't broke" that's my position.

I used the shrimp on one tank, liquid ammonia on the other. It's not hard. With a 90g, I would add half a capful, let it mix together a couple hours and then test. If its not up to 4ppm, add a little more and then test again. Once you've gotten it up to 4, then you're done for the day. Then just test again tomorrow. Are you seeding the sump with anything from an active tank?

Beengirl said:
I used the shrimp on one tank, liquid ammonia on the other. It's not hard. With a 90g, I would add half a capful, let it mix together a couple hours and then test. If its not up to 4ppm, add a little more and then test again. Once you've gotten it up to 4, then you're done for the day. Then just test again tomorrow. Are you seeding the sump with anything from an active tank?

Am I supposed to? Lol I dunno, I've never used a sump so this is all new to me haha

You don't have to, but as Jen said, it'll help cycle go faster. When I started my 30, I added about a cup of sand from my 55g, a few pieces of LR from the 55 and some of the filter media from the 55, and my cycle only took 10 days. Just an idea. If you have some filter media from another tank that you could add to the sump.

Beengirl said:
You don't have to, but as Jen said, it'll help cycle go faster. When I started my 30, I added about a cup of sand from my 55g, a few pieces of LR from the 55 and some of the filter media from the 55, and my cycle only took 10 days. Just an idea. If you have some filter media from another tank that you could add to the sump.

Hmm I have no extra filter media at the moment.. maybe I'll just grab a couple tiny pieces of LR from my 29 and a big piece from my LFS. All of my LR in the 29 has a coral on it lol

Sand is a possibility as well :) I always figured it wouldn't be too tough to cycle this tank.. not with what I have and my track record of cycling tanks.. none of my tanks have taken more than about 2-3 weeks.. so hopefully this tank is one of the quicker tanks :)

my 55 gallon tank was cycled in about a week and a half! Lots of live sand and live rock helped speed the process.

TommyP said:
my 55 gallon tank was cycled in about a week and a half! Lots of live sand and live rock helped speed the process.

Yeah well anything I add will have to go into the sump... Ill have 2 diff sands in my 90 and 29 so I don't wanna mix em, don't think they'll look good lol

Spicemonkey said:
So; I need sand in a fuge too? I was planning chaeto ball but no plans for sand. Thoughts please.

From my understanding, you don't NEED it, but some people do a DSB in the fuge.

Thank you for that. I wasn't really going to do a fuge at all...just wet/dry ugh now to replan hahaha

Spicemonkey said:
Thank you for that. I wasn't really going to do a fuge at all...just wet/dry ugh now to replan hahaha

I have a hob fuge I made out of an AC 30 with small pieces or LR, cheato and a small submersible 10w light. I wanted a place for pods to grow and It probably helps my Trates too. You could try something like that sometime down the road. :)

Back
Top Bottom