Darwinism is alive and well in my tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Geeze!!!!

I got a new fish today, I have to be careful picking fish for my reef cause my red lipped blenny is a bully, any new fish gets harrassed by the blenny for anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days. Well this time was no exception, there was little twist this time though....

I took this pic shortly after introducing the new fish...
DSCN5523.jpg

This was the object of aggression from the blenny...
DSCN5549.jpg

Apparently the blenny had never heard of darwin, or just wasn't buying it, but this time she bit off more than she could chew. Sometime during dinner the flamehawk had had enough and turned the tables. This was the result...
DSCN5551.jpg

I have already started mixing water for a waterchange (to make sure the water quality is up, and I'm gonna up my feeding a bit, soaking it in some selco. Even though it looks bad, I think with a good healthy diet, the blenny should recover. My main concern at this point is bacterial infection, I'm hoping the blenny is in , otherwise, good enough health to resist any infection.

What kind of Blenny is this? Have it saved as wallpaper. Looks like something from the deep.

Sorry guys im a little blind, is the damage to his left eye that is bubbling up or is that just a reflection of the water in the pic, or is the damage the chunks missing from his upper lip???

Platinum said:
Sorry guys im a little blind, is the damage to his left eye that is bubbling up or is that just a reflection of the water in the pic, or is the damage the chunks missing from his upper lip???
Both. In street terms he needs a cold steak over the eye and some small bandaids to close up the lip.

Platinum said:

Unless the camera angle is wrong, I believe he got popeye from the fighting. Sometimes fish get it from being netted too roughly and get a scratch on their eye. If the aggressive fish is leaving a fish with popeye alone and the injured fish is continuing to eat, I usually recommend leaving the injured fish where they are.

ReefRunner----you have become one heck of a photographer. I'm sure your blenny is going to be just fine.

Just an update.

The eye is back to normal and the lips are on the mend. Looks like she's gonna be fine. The agression has finally subsided in the last day. FWIW, the hawk was never the aggressor, even after that damage the blenny still continued to harrass the hawk. The hawk defended itself, something the blenny was apparently not used to. The blenny's fins have suffered a little, but everything seems ok now.

Will try to get a pic later tonight or tomorrow.

Yah platinum it looks like his face was tore up from the floor up, pieces of lips missing, eye swollen up with the bubble on it.

He got torched. wow

Controversely, when my tang was in the 55, my sailfin blenny would attack his tail and bite pieces off of it... moved the tang to wife's tank so his tail could grow back. (it grew back).

Glad to see that the blenny is looking better now! The first pic had me worried. How are the blenny and the flame hawk getting along now?

Back
Top Bottom