Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #1251
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

What you have just described is a computer UPS. Except a computer UPS will recharge itself after a power outage.

As to the chiller. It depends. If the lights are pushing the tank water over 80 degrees or more, you probably would want a chiller IMO.

I don't necessarily agree with the penetration claims about MH. LEDs with proper lenses can do as well as MH.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #1252
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Dary....where's the pic of the newly painted setup???

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #1253
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
What you have just described is a computer UPS. Except a computer UPS will recharge itself after a power outage.

As to the chiller. It depends. If the lights are pushing the tank water over 80 degrees or more, you probably would want a chiller IMO.

I don't necessarily agree with the penetration claims about MH. LEDs with proper lenses can do as well as MH.
Hey Greg , .. Yeah I know what you said about the ups,.... A friend at work gave me one that he bought a couple of few years back that had never been taken out if the box .... When it was setup and plugged in it flashed and beep loudly indicating that according to the user manual the battery was croaked,.. Kinda hard for me to believe but never the less I could not get it to work at all,... I finally figured that indeed the battery was doa,.. I just ordered a replacement battery ( $56 with s/h ) ... Hopefully this will work,... It's a smaller 500 va/300w unit,..hopefully it'll power a little korila pump or two for an hour or so..( our usual power outage is fairly short out here) . ... Got fingers crossed.,...I just hope it's got enough ump. To do something.:-/
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #1254
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

right on its just what i read it basically said if you took an led and a MH around the same price you will have higher par readings on the sand bed with MH the picture shows 2 aquariums set up with identical stock and equipment the only difference is the light. so its the only control test Ive seen. but i already spent the money so i will have to see for myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-27-12-parnumbers.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	115752  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #1255
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Hey Greg , .. Yeah I know what you said about the ups,.... A friend at work gave me one that he bought a couple of few years back that had never been taken out if the box .... When it was setup and plugged in it flashed and beep loudly indicating that according to the user manual the battery was croaked,.. Kinda hard for me to believe but never the less I could not get it to work at all,... I finally figured that indeed the battery was doa,.. I just ordered a replacement battery ( $56 with s/h ) ... Hopefully this will work,... It's a smaller 500 va/300w unit,..hopefully it'll power a little korila pump or two for an hour or so..( our usual power outage is fairly short out here) . ... Got fingers crossed.,...I just hope it's got enough ump. To do something.:-/
Glad you just mentioned this! I found one of these in our warehouse at work, not being used laying around. I decided to plug it in and check it out. When plugged in, the outlets worked, when unplugged, no go. So I thought it might just need to be charged. I left it plugged in overnight and checked it again today, still nothing but a load double beep...so the battery must be toast?
I'll check out the make and model of it tomorrow. So you can get a replacement battery huh?
Where did you order it from Dary?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #1256
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Be sure it powers your power heads when plugged in. Even with a dead battery most of them will pass AC when plugged into the mains. Most UPS and inverters run these induction motors fine. But there are exceptions. The batteries are easily replaced and available on the Internet or at any battery store. Just be careful of shock hazard.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #1257
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer

Glad you just mentioned this! I found one of these in our warehouse at work, not being used laying around. I decided to plug it in and check it out. When plugged in, the outlets worked, when unplugged, no go. So I thought it might just need to be charged. I left it plugged in overnight and checked it again today, still nothing but a load double beep...so the battery must be toast?
I'll check out the make and model of it tomorrow. So you can get a replacement battery huh?
Where did you order it from Dary?
Yep., mine did basically the same thing... I had a web site lusted on my ups unit and also in the user manual a listing of what battery to order from them.., as greg mentioned ., my powerhead would run fine if the ups was plugged into the ac but zero when trying to run via battery., except for that alarm saying the battery is dead.
Google something like ups batteries and you can find some replacements for your unit...Good luck
Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1258
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, since they aren't using it at the shop, I can probably get it for free. Just have to replace the battery. Figured it would work short-term, since I still don't have a generator, and Isaac was a near miss. :-(
We've also got a 2' double tube, Lifegaurd system that used to run a waterfall, mechanical and UV, but its ancient. Think I might just try to sell it, but it might just be too out-dated.
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #1259
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well ,..going along with the " battery backup" discussion,... I have the ups battery on order for my computer backp unit ,and that should be here by the end of the week.
But ,..just for an experiment , I bought myself a small black and decker battery trickle charger , a small two plugin inverter and decided that as long as I was going to buy a battery to hook up to this DIY battery backup supply that I might as well buy the exact battery that my motorcycle takes,..figuring that worse comes to worse I'd always have a charged bike battery on hand.
After hooking everything up I powered a little 400 gph powerhead for hours upon hours before I finally decided that it would work just fine,.., for the last two hours I've been running my diy battery backup ( on battery power) powering my wave maker hooked up to three large korilia Powerheads with no end in sight,.. I think I've accomplished my goal.... Most of our power outages out here are only for an hour or so ,. Hopefully, by utilizing all these little backups my tank will be ok for a short time ,..I still have my generator primed and ready just in case too.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #1260
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421
Well ,..going along with the " battery backup" discussion,... I have the ups battery on order for my computer backp unit ,and that should be here by the end of the week.
But ,..just for an experiment , I bought myself a small black and decker battery trickle charger , a small two plugin inverter and decided that as long as I was going to buy a battery to hook up to this DIY battery backup supply that I might as well buy the exact battery that my motorcycle takes,..figuring that worse comes to worse I'd always have a charged bike battery on hand.
After hooking everything up I powered a little 400 gph powerhead for hours upon hours before I finally decided that it would work just fine,.., for the last two hours I've been running my diy battery backup ( on battery power) powering my wave maker hooked up to three large korilia Powerheads with no end in sight,.. I think I've accomplished my goal.... Most of our power outages out here are only for an hour or so ,. Hopefully, by utilizing all these little backups my tank will be ok for a short time ,..I still have my generator primed and ready just in case too.
And remember, a pair of fairly stout wires can allow you to plug your system into your car battery. A car is better than a generator as it almost always starts and has fresh gas in it. All depends on the distance from your tank to the car.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com