Days in the dark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i am upgradeing the light in my tank. i am going from 2 96 watt pc (1x 10000k and 1x 03) to 4 96 watt pc (2x 10000k and 2x 03) now to do this i am takeing apart the CSL hood i have on the tank now. i am then got to put all of them in one hood. now how many days are my corals going to be fine for in the dark? i am only thinking like may be like 1 or 2 days top that they would be with out there light. would they be ok?

For the types of corals you have, a few days won't do much harm at all. Just be sure you acclimate the tank to being without light + increasing the light intensity.

Only start with a few hours a day and then creep it up ½ each day until you get back up to normal. You should actually be able to run the actinics as normal from the get go. Be watchful for possible algae blooms as well.

Cheers
Steve

so you are saying i can run the 03 the full 12 hours? and i was planing on going like 4 hours to start and then once a week bump it up one hour. or is that too slow?

As long as the are only off a day or two yes, run the actinics the full duration. You already had the 2x96w on the tank so there is no need to acclimate them to that and the actinic will be the least likely to spur algaes. Only the additional light need be increased slowly. Start with 3-4 hrs/day on the daylights and then increase by ½/day until it gets back to normal.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom