Dead lipstick tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I owned LFS for years. You need a better LFS. Mistake #1, their greed got in front of their common sense. They should have held you back from buying a tang or anything at this point of the tank cycle. Mistake #2, they didn't own up and help you. They should have agreed to house your fish at no liability to them until your tank was cycled. In fairness, no liability to them because they don't know how damaged the fish is already. There is a partnership you can form between yourself and a good LFS. But you need to listen, as I got very frustrated with folks that had no patience, then blamed everyone for their losses. When a trusted supplier says "no" listen. It's easy and profitable over the short term to always say "yes."

Last edited:
No I listen to all advise given to me on here so thank you it's all taken onboard, an will be in my head from now on, like I said our new lfs is brilliant no lies from him so if we stick with him we should have no more worries, thanks again.

Press on. We all have these setbacks. It does get easier as time goes on. Reefs find a balance after a while if you maintain the course.

When you do a water change does this mean the tank needs to cycle again? Also is it better to have external protine skimmer and filter pump as ours are internal? Thanks.

No, a water exchange in the 10-50% region shouldn't cause the tank to re-cycle. But remember, the tank is always cycling. It is the big surges in the initial cycles that will kill the live stock. As time goes by, these cycles get smaller and I guess "smoother" might be a good term as beneficial bacterial and algae build up.

I don't think internal vs external means much other than how you need your setup to be built. They both work equally well.

Ok that's helpfull advise thank you, another question, when you have copapods in your tank ie, on the glass an lr is this a good sign barring in mind we didn't put them in, noticed over the past few days them crawling about .

How do they become to be in the tank? And is this a sign of a healthy tank? Sorry about all my questions it's just that you have the experience and good advise as do many others in this forum which is what we welcome .

Last edited:
MANCUNIA13 said:
How do they become to be in the tank? And is this a sign of a healthy tank? Sorry about all my questions it's just that you have the experience and good advise as do many others in this forum which is what we welcome .

Well..when a mommy copepod and a daddy copepod...sorry, I had to use that one.
There are thousands of varieties of them and they generally come in with live rock.
Here is a good link about copepods and amphipods.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatf...uarium-an-overview-of-amphipods-and-copepods/

Back
Top Bottom