dead LR question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have about a 2 lb piece of LR that I took out of my tank because it wad covered in that razor algae and I didn't want it spreading all over my tank. Now that it is completely dry and dead is it safe to put back in my tank? I could rinse it well but will there still be a lot of die off? Possibly an ammonia spike? Its still got a little bit of color from the coraline algae on it. What can I do to make it safe to put in my tank? Here's a pic of it now.

ForumRunner_20120809_191608.jpg

I would cycle it in a separate container and then transfer it into your display tank after. Just use a large enough plastic container, fill with salt water, keep it at the same temp and have a pump for circulation. Good to go after a few weeks or so.

OK. Should I maybe wash it off with anything beforehand such as vinegar or bleach solution?? I'm sure there is some dead critters in there. Or will the cycle take care of it?

I heard of people using the bleach and or acid techniques, but personally I have never gone that route. Use a heavy scrubber or toothbrush, give it a good cleaning in some saltwater. If you choose to bleach make sure you soak it thoroughly to remove all traces of it afterwards. Then just let it cycle until everything reads zero consistently for a few days

OK. Ill probably scrub it and boil it then cycle it. Thanks I really like the piece of rock too. I called it razor algae because I didn't know the proper name. I think its called razor cauplera but I don't know. I know it wad taking over and the Guy at my LFS said it will choke out corals. The root system was so deep you can't simply remove it.

Sitting outside in direct sun at about 100° for a few days made it let go! Lol

Back
Top Bottom