Deep sand bed or shallow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon tank im getting ready for a future reef tank. I have everything needed. 20 gallon sump/skimmer/lights/pumps ect. When i got it the tank was running for 5 years. It was in bad shape. So i kept the corals which were alive (dojng beautiful now btw) and bleached the rock and cleaned all the sand. He had a deep sand bed about 6" with fine sand. Im going to reset the tank up but do i keep the deep sand bed because i do love the look or do i go shallow? And if i do keep it what are the best organizims that would thrive in it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it was me I'd stick with a 2 inch sand bed it's deep enough for certain fish to burrow
and easier to maintain , if you look at my 2 inch sand bed this is why I don't like deep sand beds , it gets a nasty yellowish orange color from build up , I clean this almost every 2 weeks with my scraper , it's not easy with 2 inch of sand and 6 would be even worse ,
img_3271302_0_fc1269416c8bdc765e5943f6160f08bb.jpg

I wouldn't try to save the sand that was in there I would get new sand , as you never know what crud is in it ,
that's my 2 cents on a deep sand bed

You don't have to have a deep sand bed if you don't want to have one. If you follow the 1 lbs per gallon rule it isn't necessary but can be of benefit depending on who you ask.

I'm not exactly sure about your question in terms of organisms to keep in a deep sand bed. Everything that you want in a DSB will show up after the cycle and as the tank continues to mature.
Unless you mean a DSB opening up choices in terms of livestock? I know I want a future tank with as many clams as my heart desires, so it will have lots of open sand area...but you can look into critters that burrow like engineer gobies or even a blue dot jawfish. A DSB would probably be the only system I'd be comfortable with owning a walking dendro in as well.

I really like the shallower bed over one that can't be syphoned. I didn't disturb my sand bed in my old tank for over 3 years and was amazed at the build up of gunk when I took it down. My new tank has a 1 inch sandbed that I syphon once a month if that to clean out and a sand sifting goby that keeps it nice. Way nicer looking and I bet it keeps the nitrates down. I'd never try a DSB but that's just me...:)

Back
Top Bottom