Deep six and refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok im really confused. I dont know what way to go. I got a refractometer a couple weeks ago. My Deep six says im at 1.025 Gravity. My refractometer says im at 1.030 salininty or 40 ppt. But my snails are showing signs of stress ,Not moving around alot . I think this is a sigh of low SG am i wright? But the refractometer says im high. I wish i had a lfs close to compare these to. Any ideas?? Am i missing something here?

Thanks Dewey

If you calibrated your refractometer, I would go with that reading over the DeepSix
's reading.

But my snails are showing signs of stress ,Not moving around alot . I think this is a sigh of low SG am i wright

No idea. My turbos look like they are dead at times (no movement at all). Then I come in the next day and they are all over the tank.

Will high salinity have side affects on snails? Like make them just lay around and not move much.

If you calibrated your refractometer, I would go with that reading over the DeepSix
's reading.
I agree.. I always found the Deep Six to read about 1.025 when the refractometer read about 1.029-1.030 I went with the refractometer.. I have seen several Deep Six meters off by the most that much.. When I was using my deep six I had it set at 1.024 and my tank was really 1.027-028 I lowered the SG and everything seems to be doing better... I Checked another guys tank the other day and his deep six says 1.025 while my refractometer stated it was 1.030 I would go with the refractometer as if they are calibrated right they should be extremely accurate and would trust my investment on one.. Cant say the same about the deep six...

Will high salinity have side affects on snails? Like make them just lay around and not move much
It all depends on the actual snails.. Some might croak right away some might just be lazy some could go on as normal.. I would just lower it slowly and see how they react.. My guess is everything will act alot better in your tank..

HTH<
James

Funny, I was using a deep six, and got a refrectometer this week. My readings were off by the same. I decided to go with the refrac since that is why I paid the $80 for it. I think it will take a week to get my tank up to the right level.
As for the snails I found that if I put 2 pieces of nori in those clips on opposite sides of the tank ALL my snails find it within 10 mins and come scurrying, at a snails pace, to them.

I bought mine off of Ebay from premiumAquatics for 36.00 plus like 6.00 s/h I think my total was 42.00.. It was well worth the expense.. Anyone want a Deep Six Pay for the package and postage and its yours LOL..

James

i payed $40 for mine from Drfosterandsmith.com but i do not know what shipping was because it was in an order of like $200 worth of other stuff. well worth the 40 i payed for it. but my swing type SG tester was only .001 off from the refractometry.

Sorry double post.

55 Gal Reef Tank
Penquin 300 Filter
Power Head
50 lbs Marine Sand/30 lbs Aragonite/20 lbs Live Sand
5 lbs Live Rock
2-15 watt Coralite 10,000k ( I know..I know)
5 blue-legged hermies

Sounds like makers of Deep six want you to buy more salt!!!! LOL!!! I would definately get a refractometer. If you get 3 different hydrometers, all will read a little different. Hydrometer was one of my better investments

So, until I can get a refractometer...should I go until my salinity reads 1.021 on my deep six, and assume it's around 1.025-1.026? I recall a friend telling me it took more than the salt they expected to reach 1.025 on the deep six. I just don't have the money for a refractometer yet. Suggesstions?

Well my DeepSix was only off .001 SG's according to my refrac so mine was pretty accurate. YMMV....

-sigh- Anyone know if your run-of-the-mill $45 refractometers on ebay are any good? Or does anyone know of a decent one that's less than $85?

You can find several at online fish stores from $40 and up. Look around. I think I would buy a new one. There is no telling how others treated their equipment.

Back
Top Bottom