Dehumidifier???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many people use a dehumidifier because of the evaporation from their tank? I have a 130 gal tank that I would estimate loses approximately 10 gal of water a week. Can that evaporated water cause problems in the house overtime?

I had one before my tank 'cause it can get moist in the basement. Now with a 155g and losing about 3g daily, I wouldn't think of not having a de-humidifier.

But my uneducated opinion says yes, it could cause damage over time. Mold I'm guesing.

If you use a dehumidifier, you will get more evaporation.

I had to for my wife in my old house. It was in the main living area and she is very sensitive to things like that, so we had to run a dehumidifier so she did not get sick. However, at my new house it is in my basement, so it does not bother her.

A dehumidifier sucks the water out of the air/tank.....I imagine it does depend on the location of the tank. A damp basement may do better to have one, whereas my living room is not damp.

Also... to put things in perspective, one adult - doing nothing but sitting around the house and breathing - will put about 2 gallons/week of water vapor into the air.

Not sure if it's a fact or not, but I read it on the internet - so it must be true... right? :roll:

The actual thing I ran into a bit ago was a quote from a doctor that said through normal sweating and breathing, the average person pumps out 1 liter of water a day into the air. So doing the math and rounding up a bit, that's where I got the 2 gal/week.

With my 46g, I lose about 2 gallons/week in evaporation - so from a humidity standpoint my tank's evaporation is the same as adding another person in the house. I also have a digital humidity thingy (technical term) in the house, and I haven't noticed any increase in average humidity levels since I've added the tank.

FWIW two11devan I don't use a dehumidifier. My tank evaps 1 gal a day. The room it's in is not very big and has no windows but my electronic temp/humidity thingy, to also be technical, usually reads between 30-38% humidity. Not sure if that is high, low or normal but it has not caused any noticeable problems for me over the last 3-4 years.

Thanks for all the input so far. The tank is in the dinning room which opens up to a decent size living room. I think I'll get a "humidity thingy":lol: and check out how humid it actually is.

I would check to see what the humidity is before I bought one. My tank loses about 4-5 gal a day. The sump room is in an unfinished part of my basement. I try to keep my humidity in the low 40's. The dehumidifier will add heat to the room it is in though. The one I have has preset humidity setting - dry , dryest, etc. This I hate. The dry setting holds at 50% and the dry I cant figure out where it goes. Humidity will hold 42% and it still runs 24/7. Might need a bigger one ...

Make your you size it right.

Back
Top Bottom