Diatom filter use on FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may sound like a stupid question, but will using a Marineland Magnum Canister filter with the Diatom cartridge installed do any harm to a saltwater FOWLR tank? It's not going to filter out dissolved salt or anything like that, is it?

I think it's Okay. are going to use it as a water polisher? Just run that Diatom cartridge as needed.

Yeah, on this tank that I'm working on

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/need-to-raise-ph-how-fast-is-safe-124208.html

Yesterday I cleaned all the cyano and detritus off the LR and siphoned the rest of the top layer of gravel, then cleaned the glass. I've been running the Magnum with the poly filter for a few days to pull out as much gunk as possible and for water circulation during PWCs. I have a diatom cartridge but no diatomacious earth, but that only makes a difference in easy of cleaning really from what I've found.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. ;)

No... actually, there ARE stupid questions.

But this isn't one of them! :-D

No harm will be done using that cartridge on a SW tank. You aren't going to filter out salt or anything. I've used the diatom filter on my Marineland HOB a couple times (with no diatomacious earth) on my tank... normally after I've stirred up the sand or added some sand. Depending on what you're trying to filter out, it can muck up pretty quick, so I wouldn't run it for more than 1-2 hours straight or you'll just end up with your pump trying to blow through the clogged filter. But I'm thinking you knew that already!

Back
Top Bottom