Question on Upgrading Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have an old Filstar / Rena XP1 canister filter for my 40 gallon breeder. The filters has worked extremely well over the years -- I've had to replace the rotor impeller assemble once, but other than that it's worked very well. But it's 10 years old and they don't manufacture it any more. I can still get parts for it, but for how long I don't know.

I'm upgrading to a 60 gallon and would like to upgrade the filter without losing all the media I have. The old Rena uses bio-chem stars and sponges. As far as I can see, most of the new canister filters use something other than the stars.

So my question -- Can I just put the stars and sponges into a new filter with the new media and gradually swap out the old stars when the new media develops?

Appreciate any thoughts.

The stars can easily be put into your new filter in lieu of ceramic rings or whatever other biomedia you are considering. Its just something that provides surface area, same as any other biomedia that provides surface area. It looks very similar to K1 media i use in canisters. No need to gradually replace, just keep what established media you have, if your new filter is bigger and has capacity, then add some extra, new media. If you like the stars then use some more of that. Its fine. Replace the stars when they start falling to bits, hopefully in another 10 years or so.

If the sponges will fit, or can be cut down to fit, then swap them into your new filter. If not squeeze them out into the water of your new tank. At least that way you retain some of the beneficial bacteria.

Another option is to run your old filter alongside the new filter for a month or 2. That will give your new filter chance to establish while your old filter is keeping your water parameters safe. If you can leave some capacity in your new filter to swap the established media into after you remove the old filter that would be perfect.

Thanks, Aiken. Running both the old and new was what I was thinking as well. Just needed to hear someone else confirm that's an option.

If you don't mind my asking -- do you have a preference for a certain cannister model? I'm in the US, so I see a lot of Fluval, Marineland and Aqueon.

Any thoughts?

Of the brands you mention, the only one we get here in UK is fluval.

I like fluval. They are easy to get hold of, easy to maintain, etc. I can just drive 10 minutes down the road and get spare parts.

For 60 gallons, you could get away with a 307, but I would get a 407.

Eheim make great filters too to throw another brand in the mix.

Unless you're planning on having a lot more fish or bigger fish, you might not need to go for a bigger filter and could continue using your current filter on the bigger tank.

Thanks, Colin. It's not so much that I need a new filter, it's just that the one I have is more than 10 years old, and the manufacturer has discontinued it. I guess when Mars bought Rena they decided to get out of the filter OEM business. In any event, parts are still available, and I have a spare rotor/impeller, so I suppose I could continue to use the one I have. Still works perfectly well. Heck, I haven't had to replace the o-ring. The thing is a tank. I just thought that if I were ever going to upgrade to a more recent model, now would be the time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom