Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
tank is still fairly new, only up a few weeks, am getting major brown algae (diatoms?) growth. I am wondering how long I can expoect it to continue to grow, and how long till it dies off, and if there is anything that I can do to speed the process?

nothing that you can really do to stop it , perhaps try to siphion it out . Increasing your flow and keeping the lights off other than a quick peek may also help . But your biggest help will come when you add your cleaners and they are able to turn the sand over . Then with time they should disappear on their own ..

They should go almost as quickly as they came.

ok and I have my cleaners, have had them for almsot a week and a half now. (hermits, nessarius snails, green emerald crab, camel shrimp, and teh tank has tons of filter feeders, I actually havea a hitch hiker Hawaain Feather Duster)

yeah he came in with a mushroom I picked up for free to test things out on. The mushroom is doing great before you say that it is too early in a tanks life for it. :) I am workin on getitng pics up soon BTW...think besides the feather duster..it also picked up either an arrow crab or a sally lightfoot crab...what is it with me and hitchiker crabs? this is at least the second one.

Sallylightfoot crab is a good one IMO. I have had several of them that I pd for and they are good clean up crabs. I know alot of people dont like crabs period but there are some good ones out there. Yeah post a pic on the identification forum of them and let`s see.

the reason I havent identified him is cause the only part of him I have seen is his claw :/

Back
Top Bottom