Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

FYI BriscO, you can also buy the 4 pin squre 55/65w 03 bulbs from www.hellolights.com

I swore I would never use them again, but they have a great deal on them. Each 55/65 w runs around $22.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I swore I would never use them again
Why?

BTW, hellolights.com's true actinics are very pinkish purple and they will make the corals glow, but nowhere near what the CSL actinics do.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Why?
Long story, but the short of it is when I got my 250w Coralife Pendant, the ballast was broken. The gave me the "runaround" saying that I had to return it to Coralife. When I called Coralife, they said they couldn't take it back because they only except returns from their sellers (a.k.a. Hellolights).

In the end, I had to return it to Hellolights which it turn sent it to Coralife. Hellolights refused to send me another unit so it took about a month to get the thing back. And it still didn't work correctly. The ballast was overdriving the bulbs. I blew 3 bulbs in the span of 3 weeks.

It was Hellolights attitude that really turned me off though. One of their employees told me on the phone that, "We are only going to do this once". He meant that they were only going to take the ballast back once and if it still wasn't fixed, tough luck!!

That is when I learned to build my own ballast.

Quote:
BTW, hellolights.com's true actinics are very pinkish purple and they will make the corals glow, but nowhere near what the CSL actinics do.
Really? I wouldn't say mine are pink, but they do have a tint of violet in them. CSL 03's are going to get harder to come by as time moves on as I don't believe they are manufactured any longer. Wonder if there is another bulb manufacturer that can produce a CSL "look alike".
Old 02-24-2004, 06:07 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, your in the thread for it, the Current USA is the new CSL from what I understand. The 420nm actinics are probably the CSL true actinics

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I should have the bulbs friday, I will resurface this post and let you guys know the scoop on these Current USA bulbs.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com