Different light bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcmcoker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know much about different lighting systems that what I can read online in the specs section so I was wondering, right now all I have is the aqueon deluxe fluorescent strip light with a full spectrum bulb. At pets Mart they have a coral life t8 50/50 bulb for 18.00 bucks. Could I swap that bulb out for the I have now without any special ballast? ( 50/50 means 10,000 k/actinic) I just assumed all bulbs in the world of 10,000k and actinic were t5 and needed a special ballast but I saw this t8 which is what I think the bulb in the aqueon strip light is. And also if this would work in my fixture do you think it would be capable of actually growing any thing.

A single t8 isnt gonna really grow anything coral wise unfortunately. :) If you have a t8 fixture then sure you can swap it out but if its a t5 (real thin bulbs) then the one youre looking at wont fit.

No the bulb I'm looking at is a t8 and I just confirmed that my fixture is a t8 fixture. Just wanted to be sure that there was no compatibility issues when it came to upgrading to a more legit light. I'm cool with it not growing anything, I had a feeling it wouldn't. Really I'm just hoping this bulb will give the water a better color and maybe make some of the fish colors pop a little more. I was reading that ricordeas can handle low light and are good at adapting to lighting conditions do you think those could handle it or no?

Maybe for a while but I dont think long term that even mushrooms would do well under just a single t8. But it should improve the color of the fish and the tank overall and for under $20 bucks not a bad deal. There are several cheap led options and t5 fixtures that are about $100 or so that you might consider when you are ready for corals.

Maybe for a while but I dont think long term that even mushrooms would do well under just a single t8. But it should improve the color of the fish and the tank overall and for under $20 bucks not a bad deal. There are several cheap led options and t5 fixtures that are about $100 or so that you might consider when you are ready for corals.
You may not remember or recognize me cause I changed my profile pic but yes as of recently I have been on a few different threads talking in depth about what lighting i should ultimately get and have decided to go with the "taotronics" unit on eBay. That won't be happening until Christmas though :( so I was just looking for something cheap that I could in the meantime that would improve the overall look of the tank :)

I have two of those tao's there very bright and you would have no problem keeping corals with them.

Back
Top Bottom