Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Digital Thermometer Question..

I was out looking for an extra Digital for another one of my tanks and I came acrossed one that was at a local department store. It came with a stainless steel probe and it said that it was weatherproof. This is what else it said the probe is for use in pools, freezers, soil or when temp. are below 32 degrees.. It also said the temp. range on the probe is -58 degrees to 158 degrees. The sensor is a remote sensor as well so the temp. can be monitored anywhere within 100 feet of open space. My question is.." Seeing as it can stand up to pools which have chlorine and who knows what other chemicals as well as freezers and soil, will it work in a salt tank?" Its $13.00 for it. If you guys think it might work I'll give it a shot.. If not..Guess I'll stick with the expensive ones for aquariums. Thanks in advance for all your input.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
IMO unless it was a high grade Stainless steel it would most likely rust extremely quick.. If It were me I would not allow it in or near my tank.. FWIW Darin over at captivereefs.com has a nice digital thermometer for like 30$ or so.. It works nice.. The only metal that I would allow near my tank in Titanium...

Old 02-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
An for a couple bucks more you could just get a won pro heat II, titanium heater w/ a digital therometer
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com