Disaster averted, What a mess! Watch you BAK PAK Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short woke up this AM to find the pump compartment of my sump almost empty and one of the pumps running dry. The 8+ gallons of water was in the basement which the ceiling tile and carpet soaked up nicely. :roll:

Fortunately I was off work today and could assess the problem. I turned the pumps off and they are all ok. At first I thought the sump was leaking, but it did not make sense that only the one compartment drained out. Upon closer examination I discovered the problem was self induced.

Last night, I changed out my filter media and put in a new pura filter pad which I have to cut a small square out of so it fits. For whatever reason I decided to place that small square in my BAK PAK 2 skimmer out flow tube to replace the old sponge thinking it would be better. Well apparently it worked for a while, but slowly reduced to out flow causing the skimmer to back up and water to start to overflowing.

Soooo, I spent the morning cleaning carpet(had a carpet cleaner on loan in the house) and I will have to replace 3 ceiling tiles once everthing is good and dry.

The way I see it I got off cheap and learned a valuable lesson about the BAK PAK. I can only imagine what might have happend if we had been gone. 8O

Now I just need to watch the inhabitants. Because the flow was turned off no heat was getting to the main since all the heaters are in the sump. So far all looks well, keeping fingers crossed.

Oh no...it's never fun to dry out carpet or worry about ceiling tiles. Talk about perfect timing with the carpet cleaner! I hope everything in the tank is ok.

Back
Top Bottom