Do I need a powerfilter/sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on having a 55gal with 90-100lbs of LR, and a remora protein skimmer for filtration. Is this enough? Do I need a power filter or trickle filter/sump?

You can run just as you are. Some would say you're better off with the low tech approach. The Sump and/or additional filtration would be options. LR will function as your bio filtration, which is most of the idea behind LR.

I run my 90 gal reef just as you have described. LR, skimmer and ample powerheads for water flow. Other than the carbon in the skimmer housing, I run no additional filtration. Sand bed is no more than 1½".

If you have the ability for plumbing a sump it is definately a plus for added water volume and for housing unsightly equipment (heater, skimmer etc...) but it's not going to increase filtration capacity.

Cheers
Steve

The CPR BAKPAK2 has bio filtration incorporated in it. Should I use this instead of the remora?

I'd stick with the remora. My Urchin (basicly in sump remora) does an amazing job. Your large quantity of LR should be more than enough for bio.

It depends on what kind of quality your live rock is. If you have good porous liverock encrusted with life then it will be good biological filtration. If it is lower quality live rock then you might need something else.

Back
Top Bottom