Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz View Post

Because if the fuzzy stuff on your rock is green it's more than likely hair algae and as said in an earlier post these things are eating up stuff like phosphates, etc. in your water and can give inaccurate readings.

Have you been doing regular weekly water changes since you set up your tank?
No I haven't done any water change, I thought the water had to age with the tank and that new water would just throw everything off. I have chaeto in the refugium but theres green hair algae and god knows what else in there but I thought that was normal. It tops off with ro/di water. It's completely open top so I get alot of evap if that makes a difference.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your tank has cycled, you want to start doing weekly water changes. That "should" replenish all your trace elements (depending on coral load), and it should be enough.

If that is hair algae, when you do a water change save 4 gallons of it in a 5 gallon bucket and scrub that base rock and get as much of that algae off as you can, if you don't that **** will eventually take over your tank. I've been battling it for over a month and I've just now got it to start receeding.

If it gets out of hand your in trouble. Reducing your lights will also help in the fight.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

You should do around 10% water change each week. The only reason those elements are low is because you haven't done water changes. When you do your weekly water changes, the new salt water added will replenish all the elements you are dosing.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys ill give that a try. I just set my timers to run a lot less. I thought you had to like mimic the sun but it's better like this cause now I can enjoy it when I'm home. Before it would be turning off an hour after getting home and then I just get to see it with the LEDs on.

How about adding trace elements via supplement? I ordered it cause I needed to buy more stuff to get free shipping but I haven't opened it yet. Would this help?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie View Post
Thanks guys ill give that a try. I just set my timers to run a lot less. I thought you had to like mimic the sun but it's better like this cause now I can enjoy it when I'm home. Before it would be turning off an hour after getting home and then I just get to see it with the LEDs on.

How about adding trace elements via supplement? I ordered it cause I needed to buy more stuff to get free shipping but I haven't opened it yet. Would this help?
Trace elements have mixed reviews. I would keep it and use in a situation where your not able to do a water change. I have used it within my 55 not my 120 and was able to skip a week, but your better off taking the 6 gallons out and changing it out. It only takes 15 minutes to do it.

I change out 5 gallons in one tank and 15 in another and I can do it all under 30 minutes.

Tags
diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com