Do these corals need trace elements and chemicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do mushrooms, softies, and Lps require trace elements and magnesium and calcium?
Thanks in advance:)

If you use reef salt and do regular water changes there is no good reason you need to use any trace elements.

Nope, nithing needs to be added if you are doing your water changes as the salt mix will provide all the trace elements you will need. :)

If you have a substantial presence of stony corals in your tank (which LPS corals are) you may have to replenish what these corals uptake if their utilization of certain elements outpaces your water changing schedule.

In most cases this will be calcium and possibly magnesium, as well as carbonates. A test kit will let you know where your levels stand and indicate if supplementation is required prior to your next water change (which will replenish all trace and essential elements).

It's generally suggested not to supplement anything you haven't tested levels for.

Thanks to all of you, I'll be using instant ocean. If that doesn't provide all I need I'm pretty sure kent marine makes an "all in one" supplement.

If you use an "all in one" you may be dosing in stuff you don't need. For instance, if you calcium is fine but you add an "all in one" you will be adding calcium. This will cause the calcium to rise to very high levels over time. In my opinion, dosing for ONLY the things your test indicate you need is a better way to do it. You can use the store bought suppliments or in many cases use your own. I needed to dose magnesium the other day. I found a recipe that uses epson salt (which I already have) and therefore didn't need to fork out any cash. :)

rdnelson99 said:
If you use an "all in one" you may be dosing in stuff you don't need. For instance, if you calcium is fine but you add an "all in one" you will be adding calcium. This will cause the calcium to rise to very high levels over time. In my opinion, dosing for ONLY the things your test indicate you need is a better way to do it. You can use the store bought suppliments or in many cases use your own. I needed to dose magnesium the other day. I found a recipe that uses epson salt (which I already have) and therefore didn't need to fork out any cash. :)

Oh okay that makes sense! Thanks. But what supplements do Lps and mushrooms need if I were to dose?

there is no such thing as an all-in-one supplement. you will cause more harm than good.
mushrooms don't need anything that's not readily available in the water column.
LPS build a skeleton out of calcium which they take from the water column as well, and can get all they need if regular water changes are performed with a reef grade salt mix.
if you have a lot of lps and calcium levels are depleted, you'll have to add it correctly. you can't just pour calcium in the tank because it will effect your alkalinity as well. you will need to purchase a 2 (3) part additive to do so.

i would strongly suggest (as above) to not add anything to your tank you haven't tested for and are sure you need.

mr_X said:
there is no such thing as an all-in-one supplement. you will cause more harm than good.
mushrooms don't need anything that's not readily available in the water column.
LPS build a skeleton out of calcium which they take from the water column as well, and can get all they need if regular water changes are performed with a reef grade salt mix.
if you have a lot of lps and calcium levels are depleted, you'll have to add it correctly. you can't just pour calcium in the tank because it will effect your alkalinity as well. you will need to purchase a 2 (3) part additive to do so.

i would strongly suggest (as above) to not add anything to your tank you haven't tested for and are sure you need.

Alright thanks.

Back
Top Bottom