Do you freshwater dip? or Hyposalinity new fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do any of you guys/girls do either one of the treatments before you place new fish into your DTs?? Im thinking of starting a hyposalinity tank so i can place new fish in there for 2-3 weeks before i put them in my DT.

Whats a good size tank to use?? would i a 10g be too small??

Just put the fish in a quarantine tank for 2-3 weeks without any treatments. If you see a problem arise then take the appropriate action.

Just put the fish in a quarantine tank for 2-3 weeks without any treatments. If you see a problem arise then take the appropriate action.
This is where i differ from conventional QTing..
I put my new fish into hypo from day one..Why wait for something to show up when chances are its there anyway .

FTMMWS said:
This is where i differ from conventional QTing..
I put my new fish into hypo from day one..Why wait for something to show up when chances are its there anyway .

After having ick and still dealing with it . This is the exact same thing I am doing for any fish I add to my tank.

Hey hondatek, Ive read quite a few thread which you provide some usefull info. What size tank will you/did you set up for this?? also how long would you be hypo them for??

I'm using a 45 that I cycled for an angler fish as a qt right now but I really like the 33 long tank size as a qt. It's 4ft long a foot wide and a foot tall which makes it big enough for the fish that like to swim and still small gallon wise to be easily maintained. I am qt my new fish in hypo for 6 weeks before he gets put in to my main tank. But if he does break out in ick I will leave him for 6 weeks after the last spot disappears . Hope that helps.

It should . My fish have been in hypo since February . But 6 weeks is all you need on a new fish .

Why not just have them in copper? Instead of doing the 6 weeks?

I totally agree with Larry. Observation is the best course of action. IMO you should never treat unless you know what the problem is. You really dont know if that fish has a parasite, bacterial or fungal problem till you see it and alot of times there is nothing wrong with the fish.

Just to clarify things . I would never treat a fish with meds without knowing if it had a problem. But hypo doesn't harm the fish so why not make sure there is no chance of ick? Example would be you put a fish in a normal qt for 3 weeks with no issues. After moving him to the display what if he gets picked on by another fish and stressed to a point where he breaks out in ick that he had but showed no signs because there was no other fish to stress it out. Then your dt is infested. Is that just me being overly concerned or can it happen?

It can happen. I wouldn't do a dip because it doesn't do anything. It may remove parasites from the fish but stresses them out and it's still in the water.

FW dips are only useful in an extreme case of ick when the fish needs instant relief..They do work

I think like honda,,if the new fish is carry ick there are chances it will never be seen by the fish keeper under normal QT or simply missed..It can appear at night and be gone by morning ,,but the whole time it gets what it needs to survive from the fish..
I think its well worth it to do hypo on new fish..

I`m not downing what you are saying. I just dont think you treat even with hypo unless it`s necessary. Hypo conditions are not ideal to fish even though treatment is necessary for the parasite. If it`s needed then fine but you dont want to expose a fish to it unless you need to. Almost like a human exposed to light air conditions if you understand what I mean. JMO.

O I understand your views and opinions and I do value your input . I didn't think you were downing my opinion at all. That's just the way I think about the situation. About what you said about being exposed to light air conditions do you mean lack of air? My understanding of hypo it lowers the pressure on the outside fishes body and that actually allows it to breathe easier not harder. I have yet to find any proof online of side effects from a hypo treatment . If you have any info about that please share it with us . The more info we have the better it will be for all of us reading.

So how are you doing your hypo treatment? I assume you start your level at 1.022, add the fish, and than drop the level over the course of several days to 1.009. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom