Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you ordinarily test for copper? New fish disappearing within 3days

I have an API test kit I bought when I was going to treat a fish in the hospital tank with copper but went with hyposalinity-and it died. I haven't used the test kit for my DT. Is copper something you would normally test for in a reef tank or should I take it back to the LFS ? It's becoming clockwork that I introduce a new fish on a Sat and by Tues night I can't find it. The other fish are going strong and showing no signs of any illness even though I had dramas a couple of months back.My readings are:
SG 1.024
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0.25
Ammonia 0
PH 7.8 ( will need to add buffer-I can never get it high) ......could this be the problem? Have the other fish adapted to the lower PH and the new fish die within a few days? I added a hugely fat mandarin- I had two before which recently died when my tank crashed and it was eating the lobster eggs and was really active. Within a day or 2 it was sitting on the sand bed and wouldn't eat then I couldn't find it when I got home? I have my own RODI system so maybe that's not filtering the water correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
I have an API test kit I bought when I was going to treat a fish in the hospital tank with copper but went with hyposalinity-and it died. I haven't used the test kit for my DT. Is copper something you would normally test for in a reef tank or should I take it back to the LFS ? It's becoming clockwork that I introduce a new fish on a Sat and by Tues night I can't find it. The other fish are going strong and showing no signs of any illness even though I had dramas a couple of months back.My readings are:
SG 1.024
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0.25
Ammonia 0
PH 7.8 ( will need to add buffer-I can never get it high) ......could this be the problem? Have the other fish adapted to the lower PH and the new fish die within a few days? I added a hugely fat mandarin- I had two before which recently died when my tank crashed and it was eating the lobster eggs and was really active. Within a day or 2 it was sitting on the sand bed and wouldn't eat then I couldn't find it when I got home? I have my own RODI system so maybe that's not filtering the water correctly?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409696019.549972.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	248835

Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Didn't you just state you were still cycling in another thread? This is most likely the same cause of death.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a different tank. This one is established although upgraded from 300 litre to 400 litre - around about the same time the tank started crashing ( I blame my hubby as I wasn't home when he moved everything across between tanks). Saying that, I have upsized several times using the same bio media, rock, sand and water so it is supposed to be more like a water change with the additional water (so I have read)

Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do you acclimate? If you float and drop, with your pH, that might just do them in.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you ordinarily test for copper? New fish disappearing within 3days

I float them in the bag for some time -around 20-30mins and then open the bag, let some water from the DT in and let it float for another 5mins or so before releasing them into the tank.

Tags
app, fish, new fish, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com