Do you ordinarily test for copper? New fish disappearing within 3days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an API test kit I bought when I was going to treat a fish in the hospital tank with copper but went with hyposalinity-and it died. I haven't used the test kit for my DT. Is copper something you would normally test for in a reef tank or should I take it back to the LFS ? It's becoming clockwork that I introduce a new fish on a Sat and by Tues night I can't find it. The other fish are going strong and showing no signs of any illness even though I had dramas a couple of months back.My readings are:
SG 1.024
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0.25
Ammonia 0
PH 7.8 ( will need to add buffer-I can never get it high) ......could this be the problem? Have the other fish adapted to the lower PH and the new fish die within a few days? I added a hugely fat mandarin- I had two before which recently died when my tank crashed and it was eating the lobster eggs and was really active. Within a day or 2 it was sitting on the sand bed and wouldn't eat then I couldn't find it when I got home? I have my own RODI system so maybe that's not filtering the water correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I have an API test kit I bought when I was going to treat a fish in the hospital tank with copper but went with hyposalinity-and it died. I haven't used the test kit for my DT. Is copper something you would normally test for in a reef tank or should I take it back to the LFS ? It's becoming clockwork that I introduce a new fish on a Sat and by Tues night I can't find it. The other fish are going strong and showing no signs of any illness even though I had dramas a couple of months back.My readings are:
SG 1.024
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0.25
Ammonia 0
PH 7.8 ( will need to add buffer-I can never get it high) ......could this be the problem? Have the other fish adapted to the lower PH and the new fish die within a few days? I added a hugely fat mandarin- I had two before which recently died when my tank crashed and it was eating the lobster eggs and was really active. Within a day or 2 it was sitting on the sand bed and wouldn't eat then I couldn't find it when I got home? I have my own RODI system so maybe that's not filtering the water correctly?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409696019.549972.jpg

That's a different tank. This one is established although upgraded from 300 litre to 400 litre - around about the same time the tank started crashing ( I blame my hubby as I wasn't home when he moved everything across between tanks). Saying that, I have upsized several times using the same bio media, rock, sand and water so it is supposed to be more like a water change with the additional water (so I have read)

I float them in the bag for some time -around 20-30mins and then open the bag, let some water from the DT in and let it float for another 5mins or so before releasing them into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom