Does my tank have enough water circulation??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timmy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does my tank have enough water circulation??

I have a 65 gl. tank w/ Eheim Classic 2213 filter(canister), 402 powerhead by Aquaclear that pumps up to 270 gl./hour with reverse flow operation and a SeaClone 100 hang on Protein Skimmer w/1200 maxijet pump. Is this enough or not?

Thanks for the help!
holla :)

I would add a few more powerheads myself. Knowing the number and types of powerheads is one aspect but another is how they are placed and how your tank is aquascaped.

Water will flow around your rock in a unique way and you really need to just analize how the water is flowing in and around your tank and then position the existing PH's or get new PH's to enhance areas of low flow or areas of near stagnant conditions.

I like to have areas in my tank that can be classified as high flow, medium flow and low flow. Remember what we dont want is a jet stream of current. Instead we want random currents that will sway the corals back and forth.

As an example of the kind of flow I have. On a 75 gal tank I have 2 802 powerheads and a Mag 7 pump returning water from my sump. The 802's alternate on/off every 10minutes.

i would love to learn more about this but have found very few articles on setting up the water flow on a tank. Is there a link or two that could point me in the right direction. I have a 50 long tank. 48" x 14" Thanks

I recently purchased a Wavemaster Pro 90 for $110. I can handle multiple powerheads and creates different currents - one being a feeding current. Might wanna check that out too.

If parts of the water weren't getting circulated much, what would the downsides be for the tank?

I would just use the rule of the thumb where gph should be 10x the gallons in the tank to be on the safe side. 65g = 650gph. hth

Mike

Back
Top Bottom