Dorid Nudibranch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a purple nudibranch today from my lfs. I was just reading about some nudibranchs in one of the books I have and noted that they are poison. I'm wondering if all nudibranchs in this class are poison or just the ones listed or what? It's the Doridacea class.

Help, he's in a specimen container until I know for sure.

Edit: Here's a link showing the one I have.

http://www.marinebio.org/species.asp?id=30

A poisonous nudibranch is just not a good morsal to eat. It makes a good defense against predation. It is important to take out any decaying matter of a poisonous animal, but that's when it's dead.

The hardest part of keeping these things alive is feeding them. They eat sponge for the most part. Maybe some algae, but they really need sponge. It's the main item on their menu. Once it is out of food from within the tank...that's pretty much it. It'll starve. You might be able to feed it some angel and butterfly formulas that have sponge in them. Ocean Nutrition's angel formula has more sponge than the San Fransisco Bay brand. Your other critters can benefit from the rest of it's nutrition. Don't know if that'd be enough to sustain them for any great length of time, but better than no sponge when the system no longer has sponge if there's any in there to begin with.

Nice looking creatures, but best left in the oceans IMO. There are other nudibranchs that are much more suitable for aquarium reef life such as the lettuce nudibranch. Looks like a bright green frilly thing and it eats algae. Very little worry of it running out of food. When looking for such things, always look up it's food. If it is restricted to some type of coral...pass it up unless you plan on buying the coral it eats. If not, look for those that steadily eat algae.

I did a lot of research online last night. It had taken me so long to find any info on this guy because he's called a "Blue Dorid." I HATE fish stores. They should not be buying or selling these guys and I hate that I fell into the damned trap. It was cute and I bought it, to it's doom.

I'm really irritated, can you tell? Thanks for the info. I will try the Ocean Nutrition angel formula, but I doubt he has a chance.

For the record, I do have a book, one for fish and one inverts that I take to the fish store with me. Unfortunately it doesn't include everything the lfs has, and they stupidly told us it eats algae.

Live and learn... and unfortunately kill sometimes as well. I'll be spending my day pouting.

Nudibranchs, just to let you know, usually look like the primary food they eat whether in color, shape, and/or texture. Again the lettuce nudibranch is an example. It's green and looks like plant material and eats just that as it's primary food. All nudibranchs do eat algae, but it may be a primary food or a secondary food. Primary is more important, though both are needed. The neon nudibranch (the black ones with two blue stripes), I forgot it's most common name...but they eat flatworms...a little bug generally harmless, but if they die off in large numbers can pose a problem to the tank. They eat nothing else. They are only shaped the same way as the food they eat, but is also an example. Some eat gorgonias and are colored like the gorgonia species they eat. Etc., etc. Perhaps you can pass this on to your 'friend' over at the LFS. See if they'll accept a trade.

A suggestion...if you are interested in something the LFS has that is not in your books, ask for it's name...scientific preferred. Do the homework before you buy. It's worth the extra time and effort. Though there are a lot of LFS out there that do know their stuff, there are just as many that don't.

BTW...usually...the older rep is going to have more experience and therefore more knowledge. It doesn't always apply, but that's the usual.

My fingers are dyslexic at the moment so excuse any typos I may have overlooked...LOL. Try not to pout. I know, it's a bummer, but it's a learning experience that would probably keep others from making the same mistake...so it's a valuable lesson.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the lfs, well... not so local... is about 45 minutes away. It was my first time there and I went up just to see their store. The "dude" acted like he knew what he was talking about, he was very convincing... I learned something.

Also, I read that some nudibranchs, when they die, can poison the tank. Will this one do that? I want to let him out of his little box, but not until I know that. My local store isn't open yet for me to call and ask them. He's so little that if he gets lost and dies, I may not know it until it's too late to get him out. He's only about 1/2" long or so.

i belive it will depend on the size of ur tank.If u have a resonable large size fish tank, the death of this won't cause too much trouble as long as ur skimming is good.If would be a problem if u have a nano tank cuz the water can get really bad in split sec.
btw the flat worm eating slug is call Chelidonura varians

I agree with oyf...If you have a good large tank with good skimming, then it should take care of the toxins from the slug, but in smaller tanks can pose a problem. I have a 29 gallon I had some type of nudibranch that came in on live rock. It eventually disappeared and died. I eventually found him on the intake half way sucked in. I was able to remove the bulk of it's body but not all and didn't experience any problems with the tank. If you plan on trying to take it back, then just keep it in it's container until you find out. Whether it lives or dies...you may not find it anyway amongst all the rock.

Thanks for the name oyf :)

Well thanks for all the good advice. I try to stay informed and plan a little for what I want when I go to the fish store, but sometimes I see something not in the book (or I forget to take the book) and this is what happened.

The good news is, I took the advice and called the store. They said they'd take it back, so I took mine and the one a friend got the same day and drove up to Sacramento today. They gave us full credit, no hard feelings, so I guess it was better to go back up there. I didn't like returning them knowing they'd die in someone else's tank, but at least I'm not involved in their reason to buy more.

I did get an open brain coral and a pulsing xenia. I did my homework on those in my book and online. So I'm not pouting now.

Thanks again.

Not great pics because of lighting, but they're beautiful in person!

Attachments

• colt_coral_717.jpg
    colt_coral_717.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 25
  • open_brain_coral_184.jpg
    open_brain_coral_184.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 35
  • pulsing_xenia_coral_944.jpg
    pulsing_xenia_coral_944.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom