Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dosing question. Might sound dumb

i'm currently using seachem reef advantace calcium, in the powder form. I was wondering if I could mix the 500 gram bottle into a jug of ro/di water and dose it like a two part? versus mixing in water a little at a time. will it loose it's strength being mixed up and sitting in a jug? How would I go about this????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is 150g. Every 2 days my calcium drops from 420 to 400. I just got a dosing pump and would like to know if this is possible and how I would do this.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you can do something similar to what you would like to do. Here are the directions direct from Seachem.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...dvCalcium.html
Old 07-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually returned it and got this. Has anyone ever used this? Any tips? http://i.imgur.com/OHyICUt.jpg

Old 07-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dose it like you would anything else. Also, make sure you are testing your ALK and MAG levels, as these will be affected while dosing CALC.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to see exactly how much calcium my tank is taking and then possibly if it's taking too much I'll start dozing magnesium so I use less calcium. That's what the guy said at the fish store.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

+1 on checking your Mag.
It could why your Ca drops so quickly if you are not packed to the gills with calcium eating corals or live rock.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
I'm going to see exactly how much calcium my tank is taking and then possibly if it's taking too much I'll start dozing magnesium so I use less calcium. That's what the guy said at the fish store.

If your corals are using calcium, which they will daily, they also use magnesium simultaneously. Many other elements are also a part of calcification as well. You should really be dosing Alkalinity if you're also dosing calcium. If you have a need for calcium, then you also likely have a need for magnesium.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now I'm on a dusting alkalinity and calcium. Keeping my levels between 420-440. And my alk at 10. I haven't checked my magnesium yet. But isn't that something you don't have to does daily.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
Right now I'm on a dusting alkalinity and calcium. Keeping my levels between 420-440. And my alk at 10. I haven't checked my magnesium yet. But isn't that something you don't have to does daily.

If you're already dosing daily why not incorporate mag into the equation to encourage stability? Multiple smaller doses is always better. It's much easier to stay stable than it is to raise should you get low.

Once you add new corals, they could also be used to getting large amounts of magnesium daily and will begin to significantly put a drain your your elements including magnesium.

Tags
dosing, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com