Dosing question. Might sound dumb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'm currently using seachem reef advantace calcium, in the powder form. I was wondering if I could mix the 500 gram bottle into a jug of ro/di water and dose it like a two part? versus mixing in water a little at a time. will it loose it's strength being mixed up and sitting in a jug? How would I go about this????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank is 150g. Every 2 days my calcium drops from 420 to 400. I just got a dosing pump and would like to know if this is possible and how I would do this.

Dose it like you would anything else. Also, make sure you are testing your ALK and MAG levels, as these will be affected while dosing CALC.

I'm going to see exactly how much calcium my tank is taking and then possibly if it's taking too much I'll start dozing magnesium so I use less calcium. That's what the guy said at the fish store.

+1 on checking your Mag.
It could why your Ca drops so quickly if you are not packed to the gills with calcium eating corals or live rock.

I'm going to see exactly how much calcium my tank is taking and then possibly if it's taking too much I'll start dozing magnesium so I use less calcium. That's what the guy said at the fish store.

If your corals are using calcium, which they will daily, they also use magnesium simultaneously. Many other elements are also a part of calcification as well. You should really be dosing Alkalinity if you're also dosing calcium. If you have a need for calcium, then you also likely have a need for magnesium.

Right now I'm on a dusting alkalinity and calcium. Keeping my levels between 420-440. And my alk at 10. I haven't checked my magnesium yet. But isn't that something you don't have to does daily.

Right now I'm on a dusting alkalinity and calcium. Keeping my levels between 420-440. And my alk at 10. I haven't checked my magnesium yet. But isn't that something you don't have to does daily.

If you're already dosing daily why not incorporate mag into the equation to encourage stability? Multiple smaller doses is always better. It's much easier to stay stable than it is to raise should you get low.

Once you add new corals, they could also be used to getting large amounts of magnesium daily and will begin to significantly put a drain your your elements including magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom