Dragonets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! I have a 27 gallon hexagon saltwater aquarium. I was wondering on what corals are great to put but are very hardy and fish won't eat or pick at . Further on I would like to purchase green n red mandarin Dragonets. How would I set up a food diet for them

A 27 will never have enough pods for one let alone 2. You would have to find one that eats frozen and keep it on frozen/prepared foods

Please do not attempt to keep any dragonets in this tank. It is way too small. I had issue in an established 75 gallon keeping enough pods for dragonets. I was adding them every few weeks at $20. a pop. Dragonets are constantly grazing for them, and other creatures and fish deplete the supply.

A 27 will never have enough pods for one let alone 2. You would have to find one that eats frozen and keep it on frozen/prepared foods

Thats what i was thinking, and those are usually pretty tough to find. I would skip them altogether

Dragonettes are beautiful, but they are a special needs fish as they slowly eat constantly. Pods have little nutrition, so they eat thousands of them. There is also no guarantee that one trained to frozen foods won't revert back to pods.

There are other interesting foods some will accept, like live worms, live brine shrimp (in a feeder) or even some fish roe, like prawn or flying fish (Chinese food store). All these are easier to deal with than raising pods IME.

If you are dedicated, it can be done. But one lapse and you may loose the fish. Some tanks can produce enough pods naturally, but most can't produce enough, especially if other species like wrasses are in competition with the mandarins.

After about 5 weeks my Mandy is doing great in my 180. I started a large culture of pods in the first day and haven't had to apply anymore yet. I do have a 60g refugium that is stocked with a ton of caulerpa, but I have also trained him for frozen brine. I would not recommend him for a tank without a refugium because for only my first introduction of Copepods I spent well over $40.
It's your tank and you can do what you want but IMO I would say... Unless you put a fuge on that tank... My answer is no. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399954706.962822.jpg

They are so darn cute. And I hate it that they have such a bad track record.

Yes, but they are a living creature not a decoration. Their well being is what's important. Don't buy something just to let it die in a tank.

I love how they look. I'll enjoy seeing them on vids or in correct set ups.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to when my 90g gets a little more mature so I can finally have one. I'll be keeping a few cultures of pods going so there's no problem.

Apparently from my understanding plain PVC tubes are great for breeding pods in a refugium. They apparently love to live in them.

I guess you guys are right .maybe next tank I set up I may get them. Sucks but don't wanna endanger the welfare of such an amazing creature . Thank you guys for your inputs!!!

Back
Top Bottom