Dreamer/Nightmare 135 gal. Tank Diary(3.12.07 update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when you say everything off the live rock do you mean the brown diatoms. if so yes thats normal. they wont affect the coralline algae (reddish to purple in color). If you put them on the glass you can watch them feed.

dont worry it grows back and grows and grows. Pretty soon you'll be wishing they could eat faster. I especially wish that every time I have to clean the front glass.

We've got a total population of:

15 Dwarf Blue Hermit Crabs
6 Mexican Turbo Snails
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab

Water Chemistry:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Alkalinity: 3.5

It appears we've got a healthy tank running.

We'll probably add a few more bottom feeders over the next two weeks.

Sweet! Great job! I was looking at your pic again and noticed the Mag-Float. I take mine out, just in case. I tend to be overly catutious. If you do take it out, don't put it together, otherwise the wet side soaks into the dry side.

Ok... I have a couple of questions....

Did you use any live sand when put it together?
Did you use a plenum for the sand bed?

From what I have read, Correct me if I am wrong... You started your tank with sand/live rock/ dead rock and thats it. Well in order to cycle a tank you need some kind of fish in there, damsls are usually the starter fish. LiveRock is to help break down the wastes created by the damsels. It normally takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. I would find a friend who has an established tank and take some of their sand to "seed" the tank. If you didn't use live sand, it's going to a very long time for it to become active enough for a 135g tank. After 4 weeks, take a sample of your water to the LFS and have someone who knows about saltwater test it to make sure its ok, If it is not optimal, I wouldn't start stocking it until it was. Saltwater critters can be very expensive and I would hate to see you lose them over not being patient.

A plenum would have jump started the whole system, and they are very simple to make... It works like and undergravel filter, but its for sand.

If you have any questions, my email is geekdafied@gmail.com, I saw this post and I had to chime in, but I had to register here to do so.

For those of you who are wondering about me.... I have been at this for going on 13yrs. I have read just about every book I could on this before I started. I am now a coral farmer so to speak. I raise captive zoanthids/palys/various leather corals.

geekdafied said:
Well in order to cycle a tank you need some kind of fish in there, damsls are usually the starter fish. LiveRock is to help break down the wastes created by the damsels.
Personally, I like to cycle my tank in a more humane way, with a raw shrimp. This keeps the poor fish from going through living in a sewage pit. Plus it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

WELCOME TO AA!!!!

I believe they have already cycled their tank.

It sounds like they just started it less then 4 weeks ago. If the tank just did a mini cycle which is what it sounds like. If they throw a few fish in, they could easily over load it, cause the sand bed to crash (especially if there isn't a plenum). Snails are a very bad idea to start off with cause they are more sensitive then damsels. Who wants to look at a dead shrimp?

Its better to do things the right way, then to do things the quick because its very simple to overload a new system. All of us have learned by trial and error.

But ya know what opinions are like :p

geekdafied said:
Who wants to look at a dead shrimp?
It’s only for 6 weeks and turn the lights out :roll: Better the putting fish through a cycle. Would you enjoy living in a used portapotty for 6 weeks?

They used 50 lbs of base and 50 lbs of lr and had nh3 spikes of .3 which is decent enough for a cycle. Still another 100 lbs of base/lr would be better but currently is enough for a light bio-load.

Also with that much water volume and rock as long as they don’t add more then 1-2 fish every 3+ weeks they have no risk of crashing it.

If they throw a few fish in, they could easily over load it, cause the sand bed to crash

I would have to agree with Tec that with a tank that size and at this point in time, 1-2 small fish will not casue a crash and will just help the tank develop.

John

Also, they already have algae growing on the sand, this is a good indicator the tank has finished it's cycle.

Well, because we'd been out of town quite a bit in November, we decided to wait 'til everything calmed down before adding fish.

So! This weekend will be "add the first fish" weekend!!

Considering our stock list on the first post (which I need to kind of tweak), which fish should we get first? I figure we'll add two fish this weekend, wait a couple weeks, then add two more, and so on.

I figure we should get two of the following first:

blue green chromis
royal gramma

MAYBE a dwarf angelfish?

What's a good 'first fish'? I figure we'll wait to add clowns 'til we upgrade the lighting and the tank is more mature so we can get an anemone.

Take care, all! We'll have pics by the end of the weekend!

Your tank is big enough and established long enough that I think you could get all 5 chromis without a problem. They are docile and active (which will help draw out newbies later on). Then I would add the clowns. Dont worry about adding them with the anemone (I believe your suppose to wait a year before adding it). My royal gramma is very territorial and has chased every new addition thats smaller or equal to it. I think the angel is also be too territorial to add first.

geekdafied said:
Who wants to look at a dead shrimp?

welcome to AA. please do not cycle with live animals, it is cruel, and painful. this is not an opinion, its a fact

I agree on the Dwarf Angelfish verdict. They are beautiful, but most are not reef safe and will nip at corals.

Can't wait to see pictures, btw.

I also think the Chromis would be a good first addition. They are hardy and docile.

geekdafied said:
Well in order to cycle a tank you need some kind of fish in there, damsls are usually the starter fish.
I believed the same thing for the last 30 years and have always used feeders to cycle my tanks.
This used to be the accepted wisdom, but just like most of the knowledge base in this hobby, has been revised and updated over the years.
Imagine my surprise when I first learned about doing a "fishless" (and more humane) cycle just this year. :crazyeyes:
geekdafied said:
For those of you who are wondering about me.... I have been at this for going on 13yrs. I have read just about every book I could on this before I started. I am now a coral farmer so to speak. I raise captive zoanthids/palys/various leather corals.
Awesome. Welcome to AA. :multi:
The more added people and experiences in the knowledge pool here just makes AA a better resource.

To Dreamer and Nightmare,
I agree with Devilish.
The Chromis would be an excellent first addition.
No worries about them becoming territorial, and hardy enough to better survive any mini-cycles from increasing the initial bioload or die-off from adding more LR.
They're also active and visible enough that they should satisfy your need for "life" until your tank is ready for the next addition. :wink:
Awesome looking tank.

Muahahaaaaa, I'll play devils advocate *puts up flame shield* and agree that although the probability that a dwarf angel will pick at corals from time to time, I personally cannot imagine having a reef without one (if aquarium size allows). IMO they pose the same threat as do other "reef safe" inhabitants.

Lol, Innovator. I love the Devils Advocate. I agree with you though, I fought with myself for a long time on whether to chance a dwarf angel or not, becuase I really, really, really like them... such a tough choice. I have heard of them devouring corals, I've heard of them not touching a thing. I wish they sold "proven reef safe" dwarf angels. :)

We'll hold off on the angel, then, until we figure out whether or not we're going to go reef. Butterflies are not reef safe, either, IIRC, correct?

Are there certain corals that are more prone to fish-picking than others?

And it seems to be the general concensus that it would be okay to go ahead and get all 5 chromis tomorrow? And then what? Make sure all the water tests remain stable, and do water changes every other week? Wait a month before adding another fish?

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom