Dreamer/Nightmare 135 gal. Tank Diary(3.12.07 update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamerTheresa said:
We'll hold off on the angel, then, until we figure out whether or not we're going to go reef. Butterflies are not reef safe, either, IIRC, correct?

Are there certain corals that are more prone to fish-picking than others?

For the most part, no they are not. I wouldn't say one coral is more prone than another as far as being picked on. It is really a matter of what you would like to keep, coral wise, and trying to match up the best possible scenario with fish counterparts. There is alot of give and take to be had.

I had to get rid of 2 angels because they literally ate two corals in my tank. So I can imagine a reef tank without one . No never again.

melosu58 said:
I had to get rid of 2 angels because they literally ate two corals in my tank. So I can imagine a reef tank without one . No never again.
Awww, never say "never again". :wink:
I think it varies with the individual fish's personality.
I've had a Coral Beauty dwarf angel in my reef tank with no problems yet. (knock on wood)
Only "grazes" the LR and never touches the corals.

On the otherhand I had a Spanish Hogfish that I had to let a buddy "adopt" from me for his fowlr tank after the little brat developed a taste for purple and orange zoes.
Never touched any of the other corals or even other colored zoes.
Just the purple and orange variety.

I'm considering getting a Flame angel for my big reef tank but I have the feeling I'm gonna be pushing my luck...

I wonder if feeding or tank bred might be a factor.....

Our booty today:

5 green chromis (who are busy eating the pods off the glass)
1 royal gramma - the smallest they had (who's been mostly hiding thus far)
1 skunk cleaner shrimp - one of the smallest they had (who has taken up residence in a cave)
6 astrea snails (they're snails. they don't do much but slime across the rock. whaddaya expect? :) )

WOO HOO!!

Pics when I'm conscious enough to take pics. The fish were a great end to a long day at work. :)

Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful start.

I don't think you had to worry about choosing a small cleaner shrimp.
It's my understanding that inverts don't affect your bio-load in the way that fish do.

I've been reading this thread since the start, very impressed with your self control, study and patience.

Congratulations on taking your time, asking for (and listening to) advice, and now actually having fish in the tank. It looks great and is going to be stunning

So, the guy at the LFS said to feed flakes in the morning and one frozen plankton cube at night.

We did that the first day, and the water became clouded like whoah, so we figure that that was just too much food for the little amount of fish we have.

So, here is the feeding schedule we've decided on:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: half a frozen cube o' plankton
Thursday, Saturday: flake food

Does this sound good?

I only add the flakes once, maybe twice a week. I would say every other day should suffice.

frozen plankton cube at night.

I'd be careful with adding the whole (or half) frozen cube. That water is notorious for containing phosphates. I use frozen shrimps and thaw and rinse before feeding. Also, lots of folks feed only every other day also. Twice a day - watch those nitrates!!

roka64 said:
I would say every other day should suffice.
austinsdad said:
That water is notorious for containing phosphates. I use frozen shrimps and thaw and rinse before feeding.
I used to feed 2-3 times a day per LFS and food container directions... what a mistake.
After over a month long battle with cyano I became an every other day flake convert, and I always thaw and rinse any frozen foods.
I have a little 3" plastic strainer with handle that I found at the dollar store in a 3-pack that works great for this.

So far I haven't had any water quality, cyano, or algae problems since becoming a convert, and all of the fish are looking happy and healthy (even if they do come begging every time they see me...). ;)

I've always been told:

1. "what your fish can eat in 3 or 4 minutes is enough"

2. "Slightly hungry fish are better than slightly overfed ones"

We tried 1 cube that was WAY too much.

We just tried 1/2 cube, and although it was far better, it was still too much food. There were a some pieces floating about for about 10 minutes.

I'm thinking we'll try 1/3 of a cube next until we add some more fish.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the way the tank is running. After our first 24 hours with the fish, the Ammonia spiked up a bit, but it's almost 100% gone now, so the tank is definitely reacting to the bioload properly.

Nitrites are currently sitting right around .75 ppm.

Nitrates are basically non-existent.

We will keep you all posted.

Please do keep us informed to your progress. As another noted, you have great patience and self controll. So far your progress and thought processes have been a great example for anyone starting a new tank, not just newbies!
Also it is a wonderfull thing that both of you are fish people, which means when MTS hits hard it won't be such a problem. Some of us have to pacify our mates or roomates and can't have the fish paradise we dream of.
You are off to a great start, keep it up!

One of our astrea shells keeps kicking the bucket. Sort of.

He's still alive, but he's been laying half-tipped over for three days in the same spot.

He kept falling off the rock, and I found him one day and thought he was dead. Hoping he wasn't, I set him back upright, and he was fine for a little while, but tipped himself over again. That had been a daily thing for two days.

Now he's been laying in the sand in his spot for three days. He looks dead, except he'll stick a little antennae thingie out every now and then and peer around before sucking back into his shell. What gives?

They tend to do that. Due to the shape of their shells, they can not upright themselves. I also think I read, they don't do well on sand, but great on rock and glass.

Back
Top Bottom