Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

when you say everything off the live rock do you mean the brown diatoms. if so yes thats normal. they wont affect the coralline algae (reddish to purple in color). If you put them on the glass you can watch them feed.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DreamerTheresa
Well, there are white trails behind them; it looks like they've sucked everything off the rock.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

dont worry it grows back and grows and grows. Pretty soon you'll be wishing they could eat faster. I especially wish that every time I have to clean the front glass.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Nightmare
We've got a total population of:

15 Dwarf Blue Hermit Crabs
6 Mexican Turbo Snails
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab

Water Chemistry:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Alkalinity: 3.5

It appears we've got a healthy tank running.

We'll probably add a few more bottom feeders over the next two weeks.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Sweet! Great job! I was looking at your pic again and noticed the Mag-Float. I take mine out, just in case. I tend to be overly catutious. If you do take it out, don't put it together, otherwise the wet side soaks into the dry side.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok... I have a couple of questions....

Did you use any live sand when put it together?
Did you use a plenum for the sand bed?

From what I have read, Correct me if I am wrong... You started your tank with sand/live rock/ dead rock and thats it. Well in order to cycle a tank you need some kind of fish in there, damsls are usually the starter fish. LiveRock is to help break down the wastes created by the damsels. It normally takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. I would find a friend who has an established tank and take some of their sand to "seed" the tank. If you didn't use live sand, it's going to a very long time for it to become active enough for a 135g tank. After 4 weeks, take a sample of your water to the LFS and have someone who knows about saltwater test it to make sure its ok, If it is not optimal, I wouldn't start stocking it until it was. Saltwater critters can be very expensive and I would hate to see you lose them over not being patient.

A plenum would have jump started the whole system, and they are very simple to make... It works like and undergravel filter, but its for sand.

If you have any questions, my email is geekdafied@gmail.com, I saw this post and I had to chime in, but I had to register here to do so.

For those of you who are wondering about me.... I have been at this for going on 13yrs. I have read just about every book I could on this before I started. I am now a coral farmer so to speak. I raise captive zoanthids/palys/various leather corals.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdafied
Well in order to cycle a tank you need some kind of fish in there, damsls are usually the starter fish. LiveRock is to help break down the wastes created by the damsels.
Personally, I like to cycle my tank in a more humane way, with a raw shrimp. This keeps the poor fish from going through living in a sewage pit. Plus it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

WELCOME TO AA!!!!

I believe they have already cycled their tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It sounds like they just started it less then 4 weeks ago. If the tank just did a mini cycle which is what it sounds like. If they throw a few fish in, they could easily over load it, cause the sand bed to crash (especially if there isn't a plenum). Snails are a very bad idea to start off with cause they are more sensitive then damsels. Who wants to look at a dead shrimp?

Its better to do things the right way, then to do things the quick because its very simple to overload a new system. All of us have learned by trial and error.

But ya know what opinions are like :p
Old 11-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #49
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdafied
Who wants to look at a dead shrimp?
Itís only for 6 weeks and turn the lights out Better the putting fish through a cycle. Would you enjoy living in a used portapotty for 6 weeks?

They used 50 lbs of base and 50 lbs of lr and had nh3 spikes of .3 which is decent enough for a cycle. Still another 100 lbs of base/lr would be better but currently is enough for a light bio-load.

Also with that much water volume and rock as long as they donít add more then 1-2 fish every 3+ weeks they have no risk of crashing it.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If they throw a few fish in, they could easily over load it, cause the sand bed to crash
I would have to agree with Tec that with a tank that size and at this point in time, 1-2 small fish will not casue a crash and will just help the tank develop.

John

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com