Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
This composition is at the new house but I moved the elegance where the green one is (can't remember name). The elegance sat much deeper into the rocks but just thrived and spanned out and I could see it touching the Duncan but it didn't recoil..
If they are touching, I think you might have found the issue... Elegance are quite aggressive.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have seen stringy,hair like white worms hanging around the back of the tank and wall. No idea what they are or if they are harmful.Would they be irritating the flesh of the Duncan?

Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks......moved it too late : (
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Doug looking at the first pic, the right side is pink with a band spread across the base. Do we cut right through that discoloured area horizontally or just separate the stalks vertically? I watched a video of a guy with a full bandsaw trimming away everything nicely to make little frags but I would prefer to minimise the stress to it....do they get stressed being fragged ( cut to pieces)?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Stress should be minimal. I accidentally frag branching coral all the time without issue.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
Doug looking at the first pic, the right side is pink with a band spread across the base. Do we cut right through that discoloured area horizontally or just separate the stalks vertically? I watched a video of a guy with a full bandsaw trimming away everything nicely to make little frags but I would prefer to minimise the stress to it....do they get stressed being fragged ( cut to pieces)?
Something like this---

That brown jelly-like substance that's touching the other heads is concerning. You would want to pull that out of the tank and shake it off in a bucket of salt water at least. An iodine dip might be helpful also.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Duncan dying-please help

Thanks guys : )
Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It looks like You have your duncans about half way up under a spotlight area of your LED lighting? I burned 3 or 4 heads on my colony with to much light from LED's. I Moved it to lower and under less direct light and it is doing fine.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's not indicative of too much light. The entire coral would be bleaching, not just a patch.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Duncan dying-please help

I bought the dremel and fragged it as per your pic Doug but the smaller piece is continuing to bleach (no brown jelly) as is another which was thriving. I have lost one head of the other established Duncan which was in a different location and other heads on that one aren't opening as they had previously. Would it be my KH? It has dropped from 9 early Feb down to 7 late Feb and I just tested again and it's at 5???? I bought 80 litres of water yesterday to do a change today (300L tank)

Tags
dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com