Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dying snails?

Everytime I get some snails in my reef tank they seem to die right away. I wanted to get more since I have an algae problem and I needed a clean up crew anyway. I got 15 snails Saturday and they are still in the same place I dropped them. I acclimated them to the water temp for 1 hour. If I have a HIGH phosphate reading could this kill them? I haven't tested for that yet. I had originally 6 turbo grazers in the reef when I started about 1 year. They died about 6 months later and seems my cyano algae started kicking butt. Could they have been keeping it under contro?

Jeff

Old 02-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you tested for nitrates? Maybe copper?

Turbo snails fall fairly often and then can't right themselves. When I had peppermint shrimp they would be quick to prey on a fallen turbo snail.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
You say you acclimated them to temp, but what about the water itself? I use the drip method as well on snails...that way they can adjust to the new water and the water temp. Try that and make sure that they are right side down when you put them in as many can't get back over before someone gets them and makes a snack of them... hope the next batch works out better.
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't do the water,, I did flip them all over,, except for the ones that burrow into the substrate. They havn't moved since saturday. I haven't heard much about copper but maybe I should check for that

thanks
Jeff
Old 03-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I checked for copper=0 checked for nitrates=0. All readings in the tank are good,, but still snails don't make it,, if they lay at the bottom for any time the crabs eat them and other snails that are alive LOL Maybe I need to acclimate them to the water by slowly adding my tank water to the bag? Do you think that would help?

thanks
Jeff
Old 03-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Alot of snails cant handle High temps. I had a problem with mine dying till I lowered the the temp to around 76. Could not keep them alive at 81 degrees

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
drm
Aquarium Advice Regular

Have you tried different sources of snails also - for the new ones you purchase? I recently beefed up my cleaning crew when I enlarged my tank, and I found dramatic differences in the liveliness of stock depending upon source.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Snails need to be acclimated not only to temp but to salinity. They are very sensitive to changes in salinity and must be acclimated over a long period of time. Either drip acclimate them for several hours or if you can, give them a quick rinse and the attach them to glass above the water line and let them acclimate themselves. This works for me in my sump. After they have moved down below the water line I can safely move them to the display tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pay close attention where your snails come from. Mexican turbos are warm water snails. I couldn't keep any alive in my 75G (Over $100 worth of snails). The problem is most likely one of three things...Nitrates, Phosphates or temp. Temp swings will do in snails fast. They will not tolertate more then a couple degrees. I have a 29G that has no problem with snails and the temp stays between roughly 81 and 83. I have found that mexican turbos are much more active in my tank at warmer temps. Cerith and Nassir's don't seem to care and conheads prefer cooler waters (79 and below). I have only had a couple margarita snails but they fell pray to my nitrate and phos issue, no clue what they prefer though I speculate mexican margaritas would do well in warmer temps as well.
My advice for turbos...Know some background on where the snails come from. Keep the temp swings within 2 degrees (This may mean turning your heater up to keep up with ambient room temp. Room temp alone can bring a 75G tank down 2 - 4 degrees over night) and keep nitrates and phosphates low...very low. I would also 'advise' you get a phos test and double check your nitrates. That slime is an indication that something is too high, prolly phos. Take it from someone who spent a lot of money on snails, its worth the $30 - $40 on new test kits if your going to dump a couple hundred into snails.

Peace.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont know the exact name but I was told mine were Red moon glow snails. They do better in cooler water.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyi, dying, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com