Elegance coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sockinnh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could someone pass over some advice about my elegance coral?
Hello I just joined this sight today and still learning this sight.
I have an elegance coral in which I have had for three months and it seems to have something growing around it's feeding slits. This looks like slim which is white. I went to see if i could wash it off thinking it was calicum deposits but it seemed to shrink like like the corals do. Is this a disease and can it be treated?
Thanks

Need a pic to be sure...but it could be white paste. What is the consistancy? Rather than using your fingers...try blowing it off with a turkey baster and see if it will come loose. How have you been caring for the animal?

Elegance Coral

Hello thanks for your reply.
I wish i could take a picture but I just tryed just that, I tryed to wash over the exposed spots.
I have not been caring for this because the local pet store told me it was calcuim deposits that would fall off only showing in the morning when the coral opens up.
This is almost like a white stringy film almost tubular. at first it seems to go away now it seems to stay right in the crevasse of the animal. When I did try and loosen some of it, but the stingy stuff shrank as the coral does.
Actually kinda looks like toothpaste when you squeeze the bottle and move the container around.

I have not been caring for this because the local pet store told me it was calcuim deposits that would fall off only showing in the morning when the coral opens up.

Good lesson to learn here....your LFS don't know squat ;)

But what I meant is you've had it a couple of months....are you feeding it? what are you doing to maintain water quality? What are your water parameters...etc...

This is almost like a white stringy film almost tubular. at first it seems to go away now it seems to stay right in the crevasse of the animal. When I did try and loosen some of it, but the stingy stuff shrank as the coral does.
Actually kinda looks like toothpaste when you squeeze the bottle and move the container around.

Could be white paste or even mesenterial filliments...if your feeding daily it could be bolus.

Yes I have been feeding them, I usually dump a cap full of marinesnow in everyother day. and I check the calcuim level weekly. Also I have been trying to do almost a 25% to 30% waterchange once every two to three weeks. The rest of my corals are doing great. Could I be overfeeding? Just seems like the elegance is having the hardest time.
its structure and consitancency looks great except around the openings. has a film floating off of it.

What other corals are in the tank, particularly what is close by. Is there anything that you could compare it too, that we can get an idea of what it looks like?

elegance coral

nothing is close by I left it by itself because I did know it was an aggresive coral.

I hope this works, take a kite string and hold it above a table and lower your hand to the table. Watch the string as it falls and watch the way the string wraps arounds on top of one another this what the substance looks like. As the coral opens up for the day some of the white stuff lostens up and drifts off but the majority still remains.

btw thanks so much for you help...

What kind of lighting is in this tank?

That looks like whitefilm to me, but I have little experience with it. Something is decaying on that coral, could be the coral flesh. I would take the coral out and swish it in a bucket of tank water to remove the film, and inspect for fouling material. One of the best inspection tools you have is your nose, you will smell where it is fouled.

elegance coral

this is how far everything is away from it. and what is in the tank the closest to the elegance is my bubble coral.
thanks

I'm sorry, from the pic, unless I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing, there is a white film going all around the edge of the skeletong. Is this what you are referring to.

I hope this works, take a kite string and hold it above a table and lower your hand to the table. Watch the string as it falls and watch the way the string wraps arounds on top of one another this what the substance looks like. As the coral opens up for the day some of the white stuff lostens up and drifts off but the majority still remains.

This would be an excellent way to describe mesenterial fillaments (acontia). Acontia is a defense mechenism of corals where their innards come out of the mouth and digest their prey from the outside in. This is not usually a problem, and I have no idea why it would continually do this.

reefrunner69 said:
I'm sorry, from the pic, unless I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing, there is a white film going all around the edge of the skeletong. Is this what you are referring to.

I
This would be an excellent way to describe mesenterial fillaments (acontia). Acontia is a defense mechenism of corals where their innards come out of the mouth and digest their prey from the outside in. This is not usually a problem, and I have no idea why it would continually do this.

when it does this does it kinda blow up like a balloon?

You have nowhere near enough light for this coral or most of the others in your tank, especially on the bottom. I would double the light, at least.

reefrunner69 said:
when it does this does it kinda blow up like a balloon?

I suppose it could, I've never seen an elegance do this.

it is odd It seems to fill itself full of water pushing itself out, it almost sounds like you said pushing it guts out.
sometimes it fills itself so full it looks like it might expode.

elegance coral

thanks for your help. I thought I didn't have enough light, but again....
the pet store told me I did.

The funny thing is when I had the elegance closer to the light (closer to the top of the take).
It didn't seem like it liked it there so I moved it low to the bottom and there it did great untill a couple of weeks ago.

Does your elegance look like this when it inflates.. From what it sounds like is the same route my took just weeks before it Died...

Elegance have been extremely hard to keep lately.. I would continually to watch it myself.. From what I have been reading is that most Elegance corals around are "Deep Water" specimens so your lighting just might be ok doubt it but... Also Elegance corals seem to like dirtier water... With your water changes i suspect that your water might be too clean... The polyps should be fully expanded during the entire day... And only look like this for 1-3days per month approx the same time every month.. Fromt he picture that you have provided I'd say your coral is on the downside of its demise..

HTH,
James

Back
Top Bottom