Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

etropicals.com sent me the wrong fish!

Has anyone ever ordered from etropicals.com? It's the same doctors that own liveaquaria.com. We ordered 2 tank breed False Percula Clowns and they sent us 2 Royal Gramma basslets! How the heck could anyone get the two of these confused? So, now they are sending us the 2 clowns on Friday. These are the first fish we are adding to our tank since getting rid of 5 damsels on Saturday. Will adding 4 fish to a 7 week old tank within 4 days be too much bio load?

Old 03-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #2

No, I haven't ordered from them, but by the sounds of it, they are letting you keep the 2 royal basslets for free without sending them back. The royals are pretty fish IMO. As for the bioload, It depends on how big your tank is. The basslets only get around 3 inches max, and the clowns get 4 inches max, so even if you have a 70 gallon or bigger tank, I'd say you'd be good to go just as long as you acclimate them correctly. HTH
Old 03-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! We have an 80 gallon tank. Yes, the are letting us keep these fish for free and they are quite beautiful. It's a shame though because I'm worried that my husband may have to drop one of the fish on his wish list if we are keeping these guys!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #4

It all depends on what your husband wants to add. They usually recommend ~ 1" of fish per 5 gallons for saltwater. If you have have an 80 gallon tank, that means you could be able to add another ~2 inches or so. What kind of fish was he wanting to add? the basslets and clowns are usually peaceful and well suited for a sw community tank.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Wonder if someone got a pair of clowns instead of basslets. I doubt they shipped you the basslets thinking they was clowns. More than likly put the shipping labels on the wrong box's after they where packaged.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #6

You're probably right. I wonder why they would ship 2 basslets together when they can't live together? The person I talked to on the phone said that there is no way that I can keep these 2 fish together in the tank. They do not get along. I'm going to be giving one of them to my father in law tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wonder why they would ship 2 basslets together when they can't live together?
I have two royal grammas living together in harmony in my 72gal (its a long story). They actually live in the same cave. You may be okay...then again, maybe not.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe they are mated pair. I think the basslets are gorgeous.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Maybe they are mated pair
Possible, but they were introduced to the tank at different times. Not sure how to tell the sex of each.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As for the bioload. The tank was cycled with the 5 damsels so the bio filter was handling them so if no dieback of the beneficial bacteria occurs it should handle the new fish OK. Are you going to utilize a QT?

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com