Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
External Pumps

I am almost done aquiring all of the supplies i will need to set up my 120g. Originally i was going to use a Mag Drive pump in the sump, but i just bought an Oceanic 150 wet/dry from someone that i work with and there isnt enough room in the sump itself for both my skimmer pump and a magdrive, but it is drilled to accept an external pump. What is the best external pump for the money? I've been looking the Pentair Lifeguard QuietOne 5000, but i don't know much about externals i have always used mag drives. I want to push about 1200gph.

JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I believe you could still use the Mag externally if you wanted.

65 gal reef
2 PC's 192W each , 20 gal sump/fuge
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like you might need a bigger sump You can indeed use a Mag externally. I would probably suggest a Little Giant or maybe a Genx pump. I use Genx pumps but they might be too loud for an under the tank pump. Panworld pumps are nice too.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i have decided to go back to my original plan of building my own filter. I couldnt fit my skimmer in the Oceanic filter, which i found out when i tried to fit it in, so i am going to use a 40g breeder to build my own and model it after the new All Glass Megaflow Wet/Dry filters. So i'll be getting a Mag 12 like i originally planned. Thanx for the advice anyway.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote

external, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com