Fail proof overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
My over flow has the baffle so it shouldnt lose syphon but my concern is a snail crawling inside the tube and restricting water flow. The water in the return chamber of my sump will go down causing the auto top off to kick in, filling my tank with fresh water while overflowing until the water reservior drains and the pump in my sump starts to run dry. I am not home for a few days at a time pretty often and cannot risk this happening. What are my options? I was thinking a float switch in the tank or the first chamber of the sump that could turn the pump off but that's expensive. I also thought a grate over the tank side of the overflow box but just another thing i gotta clean though seems like the better option. Any other ideas?

Cleaning the grate actually doesnt bother me i just want a system that is 100% fail safe and a grate doesnt stop excess bubbles getting inside the tube and breaking syphon. I dont know how that would happen but its possible

Siphons are a pain as you already know. Seems they break the siphon action whenever you are away from home!
I would always elect to drill a tank for a real overflow rather than ever use a siphon.

yep you cant beat a real over flow, although look into a diy PVC overflow, i would trust one of those more then an HOB, there is always water trapped in it and once it reaches the level it needs it sucked the water in

Back
Top Bottom