feather dusters taking over!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 55gal. salt and have had it up and going for about 10 months. And I started to get the brown feather dusters that grow on the live rock about 4 months ago. but now they have multiplied and multiplied and have completely taking over my tank they cover every rock; to the point you cant even see it anymore. What shall I do and how can i get rid of them or atleast control them?

Tiny little miniatures about the size of a matchstick with a soft tube?

Unless they're bothering something or affecting the health of a coral, I wouldn't be too concerned about them. They are for the most part harmless although quite prolific and will wax/wane based on the nutrient in the tank.

If they are truely a plague, a single peppermint shrimp would definately control them if not eliminate them for the most part. Once/if the pepp is ever removed, they will most likely return though.

Cheers
Steve

You sure thats what they are? Sounds to me more liek apistesia...
If they all have tubes then they are tube worms... Pull em and sell em !
I have never seen them grow and multiply like that before....
Pics would be great here please !

Thanks

Sounds to me like hydroids not feather dusters. I have loads of these in my tank. They don't seem to do any harm but the fact that they spread quickly in a short amount of time is annoying. I've heard a peppermint will control them but I've never tried it. I am thinking about getting one though.

I think Steve once posted a link to a site with really good picks which helped me identify them.
I'll have a search for the post and add the link Steve gave if i can find it.
(Hope that's ok Steve)
Liz

Back
Top Bottom