Feather Worm under attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satellite9791

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a large hawaiian feather duster that has been in my tank for about a year now along with a small yellow tang. I noticed today that the tang has been eating the tube of the duster. The duster now has deep holes in the tube to where i can actually see the body of the worm itself. there is only a very clear thin layer protecting the feather duster in its tube where it has been attacked. i moved the duster to a new location so that the tang can't attack it anymore.
My question is will the feather duster be able to repair its tube or will it come out to look for a new home. should i do anything or let it do its own thing??

The duster will be able to fix the problem on it's own. Most often they will begin a new tube where the damage has occured so don't be suprised if you end up with two tubes but only one worm. If it does bail, just pick it up gentley and place it in a small hole or crevace in the rock with med-low water flow. They do tend to jerk a bit when touched so be prepared for a small fright. If possible wear thin latex gloves if you need to handle the worm without it's tube.

As far as the tang is concerned, it could be a sign it is not getting enough grazing foods. Do you leave some nori or other vegetable matter in the tank daily for the tang to nibble?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom