Feeding Anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
How often do I need to feed my tank since I have an anthias in it now? I have read a few sources which say anthias need to be fed multiple times a day, and some that say less than that.

Currently in the tank is:
2 P Clowns
2 Black bar chromis
1 anthias
1 royal gramma

I have been feeding 2 out of every 3 days with Rod's Reef frozen food.

I feed my anthias's a few times a day. Mine are super pigs and even after a feeding are still looking for more food. lol I'm sure you have noticed their activity level is pretty high, that's what I have researched and is the reason for the multiple feedings. Well activity and a higher metabolism as well.

The problem I see is if I am feeding the anthias multiple times a day, obviously the other fish are eating multiple times a day as well.

What do you think about feeding multiple times a day just a few days a week, and daily otherwise with maybe 1 day of fast?

I know my anthias's wouldn't be happy with that schedule unfortunately....lol I dont' feed a terrible amount each feeding by the way, just a squirt from the turkey baster I use. I feed generally 3 times a day also. I also dont think a fast day would hurt the fish, I mean afterall bow much can it hurt just skipping one day. :)

Are you concerned about water parameters with multiple feedings? Like I said, I dont overfeed 3 times a day, but feed something so everyone gets a little. But I also have 3 bigger tangs in the tank so I guess it's a bit different for me.

Wish I could be more helpful, other than knowing they need multiple feedings I'm out of answers. rofl

Thanks Carey.

Yes, water params are my concern, but maybe they shouldn't be. I just did a comprehensive test and everything looks good. NO3 is 0 and PO4 is 0.03. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to step up the feeding a bit.

You just see so many conflicting reports of what fish need. Some people claim they feed their tanks once a week, and some 6 times a day...

Even I think more than 3 times a day is way too much. lol I only feed that often because of the anthias really. I also feed my 60g cube 3 times a day but thats due to the mandarin and the scooter I have in there. I havent had any huge water parameter issues but i would certainly keep an eye on those trates, thats' the first thing I notice goes up with my increased feeding schedule. I also tend to do more than 10% water changes as well so that helps keep things under control. Least thats my experience so far.

I have 3 lyretail anthias that I feed every other day. Feeding that or everyday is plenty. Mine have been eating on that schedule for a year now. I do know that some anthias are more finnicky than others.

Back
Top Bottom