Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Film on top of water.

On the surface of my tank, a whiteish film has developed. I can actually break it apart with a net. My levels are are normal and everything seems happy in the tank (no fish just inverts, my 1 damsel had velvet and is spending another 2 weeks in the QT). Does this sound familier to anyone.

Also my protein skimmer seems to be working well too.

bmb4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The film on the surface of the tank is a result of an excess amound of disolved solids in the water. These are collecting at the surface. I susupect your skimmer does not have a surface skimming abilitiy. If you increase your water circulation at the suface to break up this film and you can also use a cup to scoop out the stuff that has collected at the top.

You will find more advice if you search and look for terms like 'oil slick'.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
If you choose not to increase your circulation, you can create an attachment to your powerhead or whatever you have that returns water to the tank by a 45 or 90* PVC pipe to make the water return agitate the surface-but not yet increasing your circulation. (half in half out of the water). Just a suggestion! But my husband could give further info. on how to do it if needed.

RandyStacyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this problem, and I have found a quick way to remove most of it without losing water from skimming. I took a funnel and taped a cleaned coffee filter to the end of it. Then I circulated it through the tank picking it up to let water pass through it. After abotu 10 minutes nearly all of the stuff was gone and I just through the filter away.
Hook'em Horns!
MadManMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com